Ready Player One (2018)

Associate
I have to say, the Shining sequence is so well done, amazing.

Oh yes! That whole section was so good.

From the moment they walk through the cinema into The Overlook Hotel.. Then the ball rolling towards the big black dude(ette's) feet, the over 30's in the audience were nudging each other and oooh!ing and aaaaah!ing all over the place. The zombie woman in the bath was genuinely frighting when she started flying all over the place tbh and the bit in the maze when she was gigantic really reminded me of the Scarecrow level in Batman AA.

Other than that I think the scenes in the Matrix Oasis were a lot stronger than the real world parts and felt the end parts really dragged.

I also got really narked when bad thingy had finally caught up with our protagonists at the end, then the locals/extras (with their tats and cyberstuff from the 90's) were all like "NONE SHALL PAST! WE MUST PROTECT NEO THINGY!!" The he draws a gun and every single last one of them stands aside and lets him walk up to the can to carry out an execution. So much for protecting their saviour ffs! A couple of chaps would have overpowered him no problem.
Oh, also very, VERY reminiscent of the end bit of Batteries Not Included where the local poor folk stand up to The Man, and every bit at cheesy.

I thought the action scenes were great though, esp the race at the start and thought the sfx were very well done.

Anyone else clock Finchy btw?? :D

Soldato
Saw it Wednesday, not read the book although a couple of my mates have. They seemed disappointed that the story wasn't exactly the same.

Me? I enjoyed it. Didn't feel as long as it the running time was. Slightly short on character development. Solid 8/10.

Right, feeling nostalgic. Where's my copy of Hackers on DVD... ;)

Soldato
Just got back from seeing it in 4DX and absolutely enjoyed it from start to finish. My only one part I wish that they did was:

The Holy hand grenade. Was expecting a worms type voice over haha, sadly did not happen.

Soldato
Decent movie well worth seeing so many excellent scenes. Spielberg returned to popcorn form a lot here shame he went away for 10 years making serious movies. I hope Indy 5 (his next movie) is just as good if not better!!

Soldato
Enjoyed the film enough to make it worth the visit. Visual effects were fun and the story was fine. Quite why they decided to take the book's title and then not bother with the rest of it is a mystery to me - OK, not quite that bad but quite why they decided to use The Shining, lord knows.
If you've read the book, expect something very different.

Associate
Enjoyed the film enough to make it worth the visit. Visual effects were fun and the story was fine. Quite why they decided to take the book's title and then not bother with the rest of it is a mystery to me - OK, not quite that bad but quite why they decided to use The Shining, lord knows.
If you've read the book, expect something very different.
I enjoyed the film, as you say it is VERY different from the book. Beyond the actual concept of the story and the names of the characters almost everything is different. Quests are different, the way it plays out is completely different, it's not spoiling the experience but it is virtually nothing like the book.

Don
Just got back from seeing it in 4DX and absolutely enjoyed it from start to finish. My only one part I wish that they did was:

The Holy hand grenade. Was expecting a worms type voice over haha, sadly did not happen.

I was thinking exactly the same thing about the grenade :D

Soldato
it was ok.
lots was poor but they had some really good bits as well.
i really liked Halliday - the performance was great and they needed more an emotional grounding and he gave it. Shame it wasn't more like that - for the most part it felt soulless, kind of like a corporate suit pretending to be geeky (which ironically happens in the film).

Associate
Probably a 7/10 from me. I enjoyed the action, the ‘The Shining’ scenes and all the references to pop culture. Soundtrack was good too. I do think some of the Oasis parts were a bit soulless in that you didn’t think they were in real danger, the real world bits were more tense. Slightly dragged in the middle too. I read the book a while back but don’t remember all of the details so I didn’t mind the changes and the general theme was the same.

Mark Kermode loved it according to his review.

Man of Honour
I really liked this - 8.5/10 for me.

I generally love films that have mysteries that you solve along with the characters. Didn’t know where it was going and thiught the henchman character was great. The ending ‘real world’ scenes were a little less interesting, I don’t think they developed the real world bits as much as they could have, but that didn’t drag it down for me.

10/10 for the sword quest reference tbh. I heartily approved. Other pop culture references were a little forced, sooo much mortal kombat and halo - less is often more!

Soldato
This was a solid film.

But don't expect it to be the book. It's not that the film takes some poetic licence with the book (because that's to be expected), rather the majority of the plot is significantly different.

Also, if you enjoyed the film, read the book. The book is fantastic.

Man of Honour
This was a solid film.

But don't expect it to be the book. It's not that the film takes some poetic licence with the book (because that's to be expected), rather the majority of the plot is significantly different.

Also, if you enjoyed the film, read the book. The book is fantastic.
Oh hai there! Haven't seen you posting in ages - hope all is well! :)

Caporegime
I thought it was Spielberg's best 'event' movie for years. I'm 35 and hadn't read the book but it took a 70 year old director to make one of the best movies about videogames that exists (though not a straight videogame to movie adaptation like Tomb Raider)

Visually the Oasis was pretty stunning. The race near the start was a lot of fun despite being CGI and the movie didn't really let up from there.

I had one or two issues with the real world such as:
The main character barely mentioning his Aunt and (I assume) many of his neighbours deaths, even immediately after it happened. He seemed more interested in copping off with Olivia Cooke.

Also when IOI raided their little rebellion camp, Samantha sent a message and his entire group of friends were there within seconds having never met before? Little things like that took me out of the movie a bit

But aside from those minor complaints it was an old school Spielberg thrill ride in a very cool near future setting and so many little references to video game/movie/comic characters that you would need to freeze frame it to get them all. The one that really made me laugh was (minor spoiler)
Chucky

8/10 from me.

Back
Top Bottom