real world difference in memory performance ( 3d work, non gaming)

Associate
im building a new threadripper 3970 workstation and have to choose between two 128gb options. either Corsair 4x32gb (3600 18-22-22-42) which is a) cheap and b) provides an easy upgrade to 256gb (which i may need in the next 5 years)

or gskill trident z 8x16gb (3200 15-15-15-35) which is a) double the price and b) all my ram slots would be full

ive found very little (no) appropriate benchmarking online.. its all games related, deals with much smaller kits, and rarely shows comparisons with such different timings.. the 4x32 is really loose!

ive also found basically no reviews of the corsair 32gb dimm 3600 stuff.. i guess its very new.

what im trying to find out is how much difference -real world- i would see in rendertimes/ general working.

if its a couple of percent ill live with the slower , cheaper ram... if its gonna be major ill consider the gskill kit.

advice most appreciated, im about to hit the button to purchase.

Associate
Performance difference (if any) between these setups will be below 5%. Both fill all channels and ranks.
And depending on workload (threadrippery multicore stuff) 3600 kit could be ahead thanks to higher IF frequency.
At double price it is a no brainer go with first

Back
Top Bottom