• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Realistic Cards On A Budget?

Soldato
I've been looking around at graphics cards for the last couple of weeks and with the likes of Black Friday and Cyber Monday, the stock levels everywhere seem to have hit an all time low, whilst prices are sky rocketing due to demand.

Just curious as to what people are looking at in the sub £200 category and what are my chances of getting something before Christmas? 1650 Super? 1660? RX 580?

I don't need something all signing, all dancing just need an upgrade over my GTX 780 which I bought back in 2013!

I've been keeping an eye on the members market but seem to be way too slow as every thread I check, they're already gone before I even know they're there. Online retailers don't seem to be a good bet as a 1650 which I was looking at has gone from £130 3 weeks ago, to now £180+shipping. It's ludicrous! And almost everything everywhere I looked <£200 was sold out.

Maybe just wait till after Christmas when everyone has their new ones and wait around for a bargain? I'm in no rush.

Soldato
If you can stretch to £260 or thereabouts then the 5700XT or 2070 would be a far better purchase 2nd hand since they are near double the performance of the cards you mention.

Associate
There are a few places with cards that will beat out a 980, but you’ll have to hunt them out.

Some out of the box thinking: if you’re interested in tiding over till post Christmas, would GeForce now work until you have a chance to upgrade?

Soldato
If you can stretch to £260 or thereabouts then the 5700XT or 2070 would be a far better purchase 2nd hand since they are near double the performance of the cards you mention.
Unless you happen to get lucky on the MM on here, you can add another £100-150 onto those prices for a used 2070 or 5700 XT on Ebay. Hell, even looking at the MM the last 5700 XT sold went for £310.

Soldato
If you're willing to wait and browse, let's imagine, OcUK on the regular you'll be able to get a GTX 1650 Super at some point, but they go out of stock pretty quick if they're retailing for the 'right' price. But you can get some older cards that perform similarly for less like the GTX 980, GTX 1060, RX 480, RX 580 second hand for reasonable prices if you look around. I recently picked up a R9 Fury Nano (tbh practically I probably should have gone for one of the slightly newer cards but I just thought that one was cool) which should perform at the higher end of that ballpark out of impatience with graphics card stocks.

Soldato
Yes, but if you have hundreds of games on PC, then that doesn't really help.

Well I was in similar position and those games old enough to run ok run fine on my 290 newer titles are either on Gamepass or I've not bought yet

What's your CPU - one other reason I went down S/X route was that my [email protected] was also beginning to limit game performance even with my 290 let alone a 3070 etc and replacing both was looking ridiculously expensive

Associate
1070 / 1080 on members market? 1070s are usually sub 200, around 160 - 170ish. 1080s around 200ish. Big upgrade over what you have at the minute.

Soldato
Maybe just wait till after Christmas when everyone has their new ones and wait around for a bargain? I'm in no rush.

I would wait until CES and make a decision after that. I would expect there will be much more desirable budget options coming our way, if you are willing to wait it out a little longer.

Associate
If you're happy to wait until the new year then you can see what the next tier down of this gens gpus will be like and cost as they're likely out in Jan.

Back
Top Bottom