Reality check - new build

Associate
Hi, I think I’m in need of a reality check. I’ve built a high end system in the last 2 weeks (1950X, 32GB 3200MHz, 1080Ti in SLI...). Everything appears to function fine except for the following niggles...

1. It’s a Fractal Design Define R6 case with open vents to the top. When I listen close I can hear what appears to be the pump - a high pitch noise noticeable from within 30cm or so. It’s an Enermax TR4 Liqtech 360 pump with radiator on the top. Can I expect noise from a pump? Currently it is plugged into a PWM header on the mobo but I don’t know if the pump speed on the model is variable or always runs at max irrespective of settings?

2. I have 7 fans in the case, 2 front and 1 bottom intakes + 1 rear exhaust and 3 radiator push exhaust fans on the top. I still can’t seem to get the cooling right. During 3dmark DirectX 12 bench I get GPU temps of 78C on the top card and 70C on the lower card. CPU temps can reach 66-70C (Tdie). Are these realistic? They have hit higher values before with the GPU around 82C and CPU around 74C. I have Asus Rog 1080Ti Strix OC edition cards in SLI.

3. My 3dmark score was around 16800 soon after the build, it’s now consistently around 15800. I know that’s still a very high score. But I can’t see a reason for the drop. I realise it might be something in the OS so I was going to try a boot from a native boot from a fresh VHDX with Windows 10. But does anyone have any ideas why I might be seeing the drop?

Any ideas what would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Soldato
@markator

with scores, every time you update nvidia drivers it defaults back to standard setting

2) Open Nvidia Control Panel and Under 3D settings select option "Adjust Image settings with preview" and on the right side select the option " Use the advanced 3D image settings" and click on "Apply"
3) Click on Manage 3D settings and "Under global settings" press restore button once. Now change settings of "Multi display /mixed GPU acceleration" to Single display performance mode," Power management mode" will go with " Prefer maximum performance" and last " Texture filtering-Quality" settings will change to High performance. Click on Apply to save the current settings.

personally would have gone with bequiet silent 360- can run pump at 100% as its the quietest on the market
Pump is 3 pin and not PWM but voltage controlled - should be able to set curve in bios to control the speed

Man of Honour
Soldato
oh, and not running asks or monitoring software in the background? want the best score- you run bare min applications/services etc etc - heck even PS2 keyboard and mouse haha

Associate
OP
Thanks very much.

So I should setup pump to Voltage regulation, not PWM in the bios? I assume I should just keep it running at max all the time?

Will check nVidia driver settings.

Re. the noise I know it’s subjective and I need to be realistic about what to expect. Putting my ear within 30cm of the system is not realistic... I think I will try a quick test to unplug the pump and see if the noise vanishes altogether. I like to know that it’s not a VRM/cap on the mobo. I would assume a mobo should be 100% silent.

I guess it’s early days so I just want to make sure there are no glaring problems with the system! I already had to RMA the first mobo as it died within 3 days or so.

Man of Honour
So I should setup pump to Voltage regulation, not PWM in the bios?
depends on whether the pump supports pwm or not (the fans do, but i don't know about the pump) - voltage regulation is easiest way, just don't set it to less than 50%
and the bios settings need to change to temp control (or whatever it's called) rather than "always on"

Associate
OP
I’ve tried running 3dmark again and scores are still lower than before. Rolling back drivers to what they previously were etc. Isn’t changing anything. Previously around 16500 on Time Spy, now getting very close to 16000. I guess at this stage it’s more about curiosity than anything else...

I’m going to conclude that it must be something to do with other software on the computer... Or is it possible for hardware to slightly deteriorate in performance when it’s new and then settle to a baseline?

Back
Top Bottom