Reallocated Sector Count. WD Warranty Period??

Associate
Hi

just wondering how long the Weston Digital Warranty period is for, had a drive since the 15th March 2005 and the other day SpeedFan shows the drive as 64% fitness and some other SMART Apps show "Reallocated Sector Count" as yellow, its gone from 200 140 200 to 190 140 190.

Associate
Lemonzest said:
Hi

just wondering how long the Weston Digital Warranty period is for, had a drive since the 15th March 2005 and the other day SpeedFan shows the drive as 64% fitness and some other SMART Apps show "Reallocated Sector Count" as yellow, its gone from 200 140 200 to 190 140 190.

I believe they are all 3 year warranty (apart from Raptors which are 5). I'm not sure that SMART error is significant enough to define the drive as 'failed', but it is a warning of things to come. I think it only fails when you run out of re-allocatable sectors. Your best bet is to download the WD drive test utility - if it fails that then it will give you an error code and RMA details.

Soldato
Over its lifetime a drive will start to develop bad sectors and these are usually remapped and everything carries on as normal. However it seems your drive has remapped a significant number if it is showing as yellow. There is a good chance this is a one-off - perhaps an unexpected power failure or similar which caused the read/write heads to crash onto the platters.

Just keep an eye on it and try not to worry. You should only be concerned if the amount of reallocated sectors keeps climbing in a short amount of time - this is a sign your drive is ill.

SiriusB

Back
Top Bottom