Really interesting new Joystick and throttle in development

OcUK Staff
Maverick: "This is what I call a target-rich environment."

giphy.gif

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Received my Virpil MT50 throttle on Friday, see the pics at the top for what it looks like.

It's LOVELY.
The base is all metal, and clearly sturdily built. Won't be taking mine apart, but apparently all the mechanical internals are also all metal.
LOTS of buttons and in use is MUCH more precise than my old CH Throttle.
The throttle itself is two axis, linked together, which can be used independently. Then there's another 4 analogue axes, 4 4-way hats, 3 rotary encoders, and as mentioned, plenty of other buttons and switches. The main throttle includes configurable detents and a variable level of friction.
Negatives? The price of course, but being fair, it's clearly significantly better built than pretty much any other consumer level gear. The yellow button with the red surround is a bit naff looking, however, I fly in VR, so makes no difference to me.
Lastly, the flip up switch is just not a good size, and gets in the way of actually using the switch that it's covering. The good news being that it was a 2 min job to remove the cover (in a way that is reversible).

So, happy bunny here!

V F

V F

Soldato
I'm really liking the RGB built in - hopefully there's firmware support for changing colours when toggling switches.

While old post... I was just thinking of something like Razer Chroma. Hits, firing you name it, it changes/flickers to what happens in the game.

Associate
This looks interesting. I'm concerned about my Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS not being supported going forward.

It appears to be supported as a standard usb HID device in windows 10 so all the buttons and axes are detected - I haven't tried it with foxy or the official drivers lately as I usually use it with DCS and program it via the DCS controller options, but the last time I installed the drivers in windows 10 they appeared to work.

I recently found a fellow selling a mod on the eagle dynamics forums (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916) which replaces the axis potentiometers in the throttle and joystick with non-contact magnetic sensors, plus a new control unit for the throttle which turns it into a separate USB device. Installing the mod will probably prevent the official programming program from thrustmaster working for the throttle, but it is detected in the DCS and Elite Dangerous controller configuration options. (the throttle mod basically replaces the original control PCB with an arduino micro-controller.

Back
Top Bottom