Really Need Help Guys! Can I run 4 External Monitors (not inc laptop monitor) from a laptop?

Associate
Hi guys,

I'm new to the whole multiple monitors thing, but I have ordered everything that I need to for a 4 monitor setup (again, not including the laptop screen).

I plan on running 4 monitors directly from the laptop. I have ordered a USB C docking station that has 3 HDMI ports, and the laptop I am going to order has 2 USB C slots and a HDMI slot.

I have heard that windows can only support 3 monitors at any given time, is this true? Even the amazon page of the docking station shows that you can have 3 external displays from a laptop, but the laptop wont be able to function as an extra display. I've spent all day trying to find answers but have had no solid information.

My plan was to run 3 (or even 2) external monitors from the docking station, which is connected to 1 of the USB C slots. Then, run an additional 2 external monitors, 1 connected to the extra USB C slot and the other to the HDMI slot. I was hoping that this would give me a 4 monitor setup, as well as a laptop acting as a 5th monitor. Is this possible?

Please, any answers would be greatly appreciated. I have linked the MSI laptop I intend on buying below, as well as the docking station I intend on using.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B085ZNBSGN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...hz-fhd-i7-10750h-gaming-laptop-lt-2d0-ms.html

Associate
OP
Will you be using it to display 4 separate screens or an extended display?

I'll be using them as an extended display mate. I dont want a mirrored display, but an extended display, where each screen is essentially independent.
Thanks for the reply man, hope you can shed some light on the situation for me!

Soldato
Windows can support 4+ displays, but you need enough output capability. Most laptops can handle 2/3 natively, which is sometimes shared with the dock, depending on whether the dock piggybacks or has it's own USB video adaptor built in.
In my case I am using the laptop screen, and 3 externals. 1 connected directly to the laptop via HDMI, 1 connected to the dock via DP, and 1 connected via HDMI to a USB3.0 to HDMI adaptor, which essentially is a small 2D GPU which partially uses the CPU to do the horsework. Does 1080p60 fine and with minimal delay so good enough for me!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Windows can support 4+ displays, but you need enough output capability. Most laptops can handle 2/3 natively, which is sometimes shared with the dock, depending on whether the dock piggybacks or has it's own USB video adaptor built in.
In my case I am using the laptop screen, and 3 externals. 1 connected directly to the laptop via HDMI, 1 connected to the dock via DP, and 1 connected via HDMI to a USB3.0 to HDMI adaptor, which essentially is a small 2D GPU which partially uses the CPU to do the horsework. Does 1080p60 fine and with minimal delay so good enough for me!

This helped a lot man, thanks! So essentially you would need a DP, Mini DP and a HDMI port to support at least 3? I've been looking for laptops that have these ports, and I found the following Gigabyte laptop. What do you think of it? -

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...-144hz-i7-10870h-gaming-laptop-lt-0cw-gi.html

If you have any alternative suggestions that'd be awesome too!

Also have you noticed any lag or delays with the monitor that you've connected to the HDMI adapter? I would need as little delay/lag as possible!

Back
Top Bottom