Really really irritating noise.

Soldato
Just installed a new motherboard in computer, due to network adapter on old one giving up. This time around I opted to go for a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 after reading a ton of good, solid reviews. The issue is, ever since there has been this really irritating high pitched noise, that gets quite a bit (not really loud, but easily audible) louder when entering a game. Right now on desktop with Chrome open, you can hear it but its not bad, however the second I alt-tab back into Dawn of War II the sound is amplified about three fold and because pretty audible. Anyone got any idea what is making this sound and any potential fixes? Heard of coil whine in the past but never really had an experience with it, so unsure of the cause but sounds like its coming from either around CPU socket or GPU. This noise never happened with old motherboard and that was the same GFX card so I'm inclined to lean toward motherboard. :confused:

Soldato
Sounds like GPU coil whine.

Take the GPU out and see if you still get it at all. If you dont, then likely the GPU, if you do then its definitely not the GPU and could be a HDD or something.

Never heard a motherboard doing this!

Associate
Never heard any of my motherboards make any noise whatsoever, so I'd say it must be coil whine from gpu, as Avenged said. Could be PSU as well. I had a Corsair psu once that did some annoying noise when speeding up.

Back
Top Bottom