Really Wierd Question (Rapidly Expanding Bag of Salad O_O)

Soldato
Steedie said:
Hey guys

So i've got this bag of "Sweet and Crunchy" salad in my fridge, noticed the other day the bag seemed like it had inflated but ignored it thinking something is resting on one side and pushing all the air to the other side.

Anyway a few days on and i got it out today, and the bag has full on inflated to almost bursting point. But thing is what the hells giving off air/gas inside a bag of salad, i buy these bags all the time and its never happened before.

I dont want to eat it incase something dodgy is up with it lol, any ideas O_O

Thanks

I'm suprised no one has come out with the obvious answer! :rolleyes:

The photonic charges in the isonucleide of the salad has become weak and discharged thus releasing excess energy which in turn, expands the bag.

Soldato
William said:
Well it could be bacteria if it were going off which give out all sorts when they respire, but you would be able to see it by now, it would stink, and they spray the stuff in chlorine anyway then seal it so I doubt that.
Am I understanding this correctly ... you're saying they spray food with chlorine ... or the bag? Hell, they don't even use chlorine in swimming pools any more in favour of other chemicals. All foods are sterilised either by pasteurisation or with UV light.

As said above, it will only be changes in the air pressure. This can happen if you go walking up a hill with a bag of crisps - the bag swells and pops due to the lower air pressure outside the bag.

Last edited:
Soldato
Energize said:
They convert one gas to another, the extra gas would have to come from somewhere so it cant be that.
This is true, but it is also a fact that a bag of dead lettuce won't be doing an awful lot of photosynthesising (I mean none) anyway.

Soldato
Strange but this has also been happening with our Innocent and Tropicana fruit juice cartons. After we had finished one it was left on the side for recycling and it expanded so much if you were to squeeze it, BAM! I decided to place it outside to check whether it would but sadly it deflated again :( . The Tropicana expanded today as well but not much.

Suspended
Lost-Prophet said:
Strange but this has also been happening with our Innocent and Tropicana fruit juice cartons. After we had finished one it was left on the side for recycling and it expanded so much if you were to squeeze it, BAM! I decided to place it outside to check whether it would but sadly it deflated again :( . The Tropicana expanded today as well but not much.

LOL. I had a couple of old innocent cartons under my bed, they were almost spherical when I found them.

Soldato
eXSBass said:
The photonic charges in the isonucleide of the salad has become weak and discharged thus releasing excess energy which in turn, expands the bag.

LOL. The most obvious answer is the salad is trying to escape because it's a sentient life form [/star trek].

As has been said it is probably co2 producing bacteria or something. Easiest way to find out is to open the bag and sniff. Do we get macro pictures of the salad? :D

Man of Honour
OP
salad1.jpg

SHE'S GONNA BLOW

Back
Top Bottom