Rear discs scored - how does it happen?

Soldato
Hey

Just a daft chew the fat question, but the rear discs on the car I noticed are now suddenly scored. 3 noticeable rings, but interestingly, on both sides, and just the rears. They've only covered 10k miles although I guess it can happen at any point in time. The discs were fine a few days ago so obviously something has gotten in... grit or stones in the road perhaps? What is the usual culprit?

They seem to have appeared after the handbrake was stuck on, could that be a cause? Might just be coincidence that though.

I just thought it odd for both sides to happen at the same time.

I have been planning to replace them, not sure if anyone here has the infamous "moo" sound or experienced it, when reversing. Apparently a very common VW / Skoda / VAG issue. So I was going to put some discs on with some slight grooves and a softer compound pad to see if that helps, although some people say it is resonance. VW still no wiser in fixing.

Thanks.

Soldato
It could be the anti rattle shims. They can have a notch at each end that sits very close to the disc maybe it bent in a bit, happened on my car.

Watch this the shims actually nearly cut right through the disc.

It's an easy fix, take the wheel off and inspect the disc right at where the shim/pad is and see if any part of the shim is touching the disc then just take a thin screwdriver and bend it back away from the disc.

It could also mean your pads are worn right down.

Associate
Long time parked car, wet days, may be the stuck handbreak.
VW (and others from the group) are not too fast releasing the automatic handbrake when reversing. Owned a Golf and a Leon before, same issue.
And just check how bad rust affects cars now that most don't drive daily. A sharp break could actually help cleaning the rust, but as mainly the front brakes would do the job, i would try something to clean (safely) the rear brake and see if improves.

Back
Top Bottom