Reasonable cost for a service/Repair

Soldato
Been a while since ive had my 2017 Cube Analog MTB,What would you say the going rate these days would be for a full service?

I do know that it needs attention to the right gear change selector switch, sometimes it just gives out when you press the lever,So im assuming it needs a new switch..definitely putting this down to wear and tear as its a daily used bike.

Also for some bizarre reason the remote lockout switch for the front forks no longer works,You cant even press it its stuck solid..why i dont know because i never use this button but all of a sudden it no longer works,i have a feeling some "profanity words" person at work has been messing about with my bike and probably pressed it really hard breaking it..yes i know shouldn't throw accusations but on a few occasions ive come to get on my bike from work and someones pressed gears and messed about with it..if this continues i will be taking it further however no cameras where bikes are stored unfortunately.

Soldato
Think mine charges about £100 for a hard tail, not including parts or fork service, but it's basically a full strip down and rebuild at that price - sound like you just want a check over and the gears and lockout servicing?

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys for your replies, Not too bad then I don't mind paying that for a bike I use daily tbh.

Both of my local bike shops are completely useless, The one does not reply to messages at all, sent an email..no reply, Sent a Facebook messenger message as i know they're active on FB..read message, Didn't reply..oh well their loss.
The other there's a 2-month waiting list, Which i understand as a lot have a long list atm, BUT I've heard from several people they're rip off and make out work needs to be done that don't, So going to avoid them.

a mate of mine has recommended another which he uses and couldn't praise it enough said his prices are very reasonable too so messaged him, Definitely needs a good service though.

Do services tend to clean and re-lube the chain does anyone know? or would they swap it..as i believe its the original chain?

Soldato
Depends how worn the chain is, if it's original and old they may suggest a new one, which might mean a new cassette too.. Just depends.. Best of speaking to them and asking.

Last edited:
Soldato
I recently spent ~£800 getting my bike serviced. :o

TBF it was completely stripped down:
  • One wheel rebuilt, one wheel re-trued
  • Both fork and shock had a full service including a replacement body for the Fox Float DPS
  • Dropper post service
  • All frame bearings replaced
  • All hoses/cables replaced
  • New chain and cassette
  • New discs and pads
The only things that weren't replaced were the frame, BB, levers, and shifters…

It's still less than half the original cost of the bike so it's not completely unreasonable but it still stings a bit!

Soldato
I recently spent ~£800 getting my bike serviced. :o

TBF it was completely stripped down:
  • One wheel rebuilt, one wheel re-trued
  • Both fork and shock had a full service including a replacement body for the Fox Float DPS
  • Dropper post service
  • All frame bearings replaced
  • All hoses/cables replaced
  • New chain and cassette
  • New discs and pads
The only things that weren't replaced were the frame, BB, levers, and shifters…

It's still less than half the original cost of the bike so it's not completely unreasonable but it still stings a bit!

That's a bit more than a normal service to be fair!

Soldato
Think my LBS charged £130 to build my hard tail onto a new frame, using my existing parts and a few I'd bought too. and that included a few bits I didn't supply, bottom part of headset and a brake adapter.

Soldato
Hard to find decent places.

Whilst we were closed for 3 months a crap local place has been rammed full but we keep getting bikes in to fix properly. He isn't cheap either and basically tell customers to like it or lump it.

We're £45 for a basic style decide adjusting brakes, gears, tightening all nuts and bolts and adjusting hubs/bb if they can be on cheaper bikes. Wheels trued on bike if needed. Disc wheels usually need to come off.

If we need to change a bb or headset it's £60 or up to £80 for doing both.

Strip and rebuild of a bike about £100+ depending on how complicated the cable setup is or if hydraulics are involved.

Parts are ontop but will we happily fit supplied parts as we try to stick to RRP on most parts and shimano cables are arguably expensive.

Back
Top Bottom