Rebellion

Associate
Welcome to my latest project, Rebellion! I have changed the name of this from Ortus, just to put some space between the cutting edge and what can be a more than adequate build, there’s not going to be a 10900K in here or a 2080Ti, but it will be a great build none the less for the more casual gamer.

To get any project started, you first need a base. For that, we will be using the Antec P120 Crystal, accompanied by their High Current Gamer 750W 80+ Gold PSU and two sets of Prizm 120 ARGB kits that include both a fan controller and ARGB strips. A massive shout out to Antec for this, really looking forward to this build and I hope it may lead to future work with them. I have an idea I fancy trying on their Torque chassis so fingers crossed this one meets the grade.

Some hardware is yet to be confirmed but as far as case mods go, we will be trying out a few things I have not seen in a P120 as of yet. This build will be aimed primarily at a modest budget for those wishing to put something similar together. I won’t be going too over the top as I have more planned for the P120 once this one is done so I am aiming to keep that side of things pretty clean. Alphacool are once again backing my work but a certain virus is delaying items from arriving as they normally would and I may have a small wait on my hands before everything is here.

That’s our intro to this one then, there is more to come and we did a quick unboxing video on the Prizm 3-1 pack, it’s only our second video so don’t be too harsh!

Last edited:
Associate
Are you going to wait for everything to arrive before you do the build or just going to do what you can while the other stuff trickles in? Video is cool though!

Associate
OP
Im still waiting to confirm some aspects of this one but given the current situation everything is on hold sadly.

We have loaned the Antec parts to Gadget Joe for a review since he is local to me. Its frustrating to have all this time and nothing to build!

Pleased you like the video, il probably do a few vids once this one gets off the ground but for now we are just stuck waiting :(

Associate
OP
Appreciate the feedback, Im not big into my face and voice on vids :)

I used to run an iRacing league and do voice-overs but felt hideous, I may give it a whirl, a condition with this build is a final video for Antec and I am more than happy to do that. I may add some blog stuff, see how it goes and if it gets a good response carry on doing them.

Soldato
Appreciate the feedback, Im not big into my face and voice on vids :)

I used to run an iRacing league and do voice-overs but felt hideous, I may give it a whirl, a condition with this build is a final video for Antec and I am more than happy to do that. I may add some blog stuff, see how it goes and if it gets a good response carry on doing them.
It's just my personal choice
Others may prefer the music instead
For example I was interested whether the controller box and leds were magnetic
Music doesn't tell me that :)

Associate
OP
Thanks bud, sorry forgot to reply and I have been really busy too.

Appreciate the feedback again, yeah its something I can add in for sure. Still waiting on a few things for this one, I have Mistral to get finished first for EVGA anyway.

Also, I have another build that has jumped the queue, this needs to be completed ASAP and I will post a project log as soon as I am allowed :)

Really looking forward to the P120 though, its a great looking case. Next update here will be getting it unboxed along with the other parts they sent over and having a closer look.

Associate
OP
Due to the ongoing worldwide situation, many of our projects have been delayed including this one. Given the circumstances, we have had to change things up a little, going from the original plan to a black and red, Republic of Gamers styled theme.

To kick things off on the hardware side, we have decided to go with the ASUS Z390-H. This board revitalizes the classic ROG red-and-black colour scheme but adds in the ASUS cyber-text pattern. It looks fantastic and takes us back to the older ROG boards and the styling that the fans love. This isn’t a sponsored part for the build but I love ASUS hardware so it was an easy choice.

20200609-094738.jpg

20200609-094846.jpg

The CPU of choice carries on the old school theme, going with the Intel 8086K. A big shout out to Intel for sending this over for us. Essentially an 8700K, 6 cores and 12 threads and topping out at 5GHz, the limited edition chip will serve us well in this build.

20200609-093756.jpg

Hopefully, as things start getting back to some sort of normality over the next few weeks we can move on and get this build going. I still have Mistral to finish but that's waiting on my 3D printer to arrive so that we can print out the new nameplate for the PSU shroud.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well its time to finally get some parts in here! Its been a long old wait but its time to get moving, I wont go into details but I have waited since January for something and when it did finally happen, it was all cocked up and so I had to cancel that part of the P120 builds I have coming. Moving on swiftly

The 8086K and Z390-H are now sitting in their new home, even with just the motherboard in place, it totally transforms the bare P120 and gives us a glimpse of the black and red theme we are going for. Straight away I just know this is going to be a great looking build but there’s a long way to go yet. The P120 looks fantastic and we now just have to fill the rest up.

We all know the P120 defines itself by having a multitude of fans sitting next to the motherboard and that’s what we need to get into place next. This is a bit different though, thanks to my friends at Alphacool we are showing things off a little differently, going with a custom res holder on an Alphacool ST30 360mm Radiator coupled with Antec’s gorgeous Prizm 120mm ARGB fans.

With the fittings and short tubes in place, we could get the Alphacool Coolplex 250mm tube reservoirs in place, but these are no ordinary reservoirs. We have removed the bottom block multiport fittings and replaced them with the single connection top caps. Some small extensions and 90-degree fittings and we are good to go. This meant we had to order 4 of the reservoirs, hopefully Alphacool will start stocking end caps as a separate item soon.

Dual-res-Couplings.jpg

What will really make this build stand out is the dual reservoirs, backlit by the Antec fans and so I had to come up with a way to mount both to the radiator. Cue Sketch-Up and my 3D printer and voila! A custom made res holder that can be fitted to the fans using the 35mm screws that come with the Alphacool radiator. Complete adjustment is possible so we get the perfect alignment too. I have also included the bottom cut outs so we can then push coolant to the next part of the loop.

Its a great fit and looks bloody awesome in person, I just want to fill these up now with red pastel but that will have to wait until its all done. Now we have the 360 in place its time to get the Alphacool VPP655 and the second, 240mm radiator in, line it all up and secure it all down.

We have 6 Antec Prizms so having a 360, 240 and then the rear fan is perfect. These will all be controlled by the included Antec controller and I will be adding some of the RGB strips from the pack too.

So its finally on its way, still a load to do but for today thats some good progress. Im waiting on a GPU to arrive now and then we can get the CPU and GPU blocks fitted and finish the loop, then onto some other little details but for now, stay safe and happy modding!

Associate
OP
Today I am delighted to welcome PowerColor to the Mod 83 list of partners, we will be kicking things off with the PowerColor 5700XT Red Devil for this build with a PowerColor 5600XT build to come further down the line.

I'm really pleased the hard work is paying off and so awesome to bring another manufacturer to the Mod 83 family.

Details for both models can be found on the PowerColor website but for today we just want to show off the 5700XT that will be going on a small diet with an Alphacool block before looping up this system!

Associate
OP
Moving on with the build we can get a few more parts installed today, first in is the Seagate FireCuda 510 1Tb M.2 NVME drive. This should keep our little system nice and speedy and being M.2, doesn’t take up any additional space within the system. The 510s put out sequential read/write up to 3,450 / 3,200 MB/s and 1.8M hours MTBF, up to 3,600 TB TBW.

20200609-093312.jpg

20200909-135419.jpg

Now the fun can start on the graphics side of things, we will be using the PowerColor 5700XT Red Devil for this build. Its aimed at 1080 and 1440 so this will give us more than enough grunt to get those frame rates and details running high. With the standard air cooler its a no go thanks to the dual reservoirs but that will soon be sorted out. We dont get a backplate with this block so some Dremmeling will be in order.

20200914-181350.jpg

Our blocks for the 5700XT and the 5600XT have also landed from our good friends over at Alphacool along with a couple of other surprises, another mug and a leak tester, thanks Alphacool you really are awesome! Time to strip the 5700XT down and put it on a diet. It really is a lovely looking block from Alphacool, no less than you would expect and yes, there is RGB goodness too.

Package.jpg

Pressure-Guage.jpg

Block.jpg

Fin-Stack.jpg

Red-Devil-5700-XT-Logo.jpg

Stripping down the card was a piece of cake, remove the air cooler and then the backplate can be unscrewed and put to one side, we are going to need this quite soon. You can now see just how much larger the card is with an air cooler on the PCB and as it turns out the backplate gives us a great edge to cut down to while still being able to include the backlit Red Devil logo.

20200917-102903.jpg

20200917-103913.jpg

20200917-104528.jpg

I really need a new Dremel, I’m using an old one I think I go from Woolworths many years ago, its tried to kill me a couple of times now but it has done the job and we have trimmed down the backplate. A quick file and a touch up to the paint of the exposed edge of the plate and we are good to move on.

20200917-104928.jpg

20200917-110650.jpg

20200917-110708.jpg

20200917-114437.jpg

20200917-120721.jpg

And there we have it guys, all blocked up and ready to install. It’s a shame we are not vertically mounting this one, well, not in this build anyway, but its a shame we won’t be able to see much of the block, it really is stunning.

20200917-122857.jpg

20200917-124530.jpg

Next update will bring some changes to the layout slightly, Im just waiting on a few extra fittings to arrive as I have decided to change it up and go with a parallell loop. This will be a first for me but I am always up for trying something new with these builds. Hope you like it so far, catch you soon!

Associate
OP
Another project is now complete with the final part of Rebellion now all done. To say this project has been delayed would be an understatement and I am just so happy that it’s finally finished. The final spec on this one is as follows;

• Antec P120 Crystal Case
  • Antec HCG 750W PSU
  • Antec Prizm 120mm Case Fans and Controller
  • Intel 8086K
  • ASUS Z390-H Gaming Motherboard
  • Seagate FireCuda 510 1Tb NVME SSD
  • 16Gb TeamGroup Delta RGB RAM
  • Powercolor Red Devil 5700XT
  • Custom Alphacool Loop inc. 240 and 360mm Radiators
  • Custom 3D Printed GPU mount, Reservoir Holder, cable combs and Logo Panel
This is the first time I have gone with a parallel loop and I am really pleased with the final look. I wanted to show off the Alphacool GPU block and by going parallel and hiding the runs behind the card has let me really bring it to the front. The PowerColor Red Devil 5700XT, with a cut-down backplate, really sets off the build.

The custom GPU mount and dual reservoir holder add another element to the build, subtle but functional and I think its the little parts on this one that really set it off. These Antec Prizm fans really do push airflow and with both a 240 and 360 radiator, there’s more than enough cooling for the GPU and 8086K. Coolant is all Alphacool show coolant so that will need replacing now the final pics are all done.

I had planned to add in some etched panels but given how it looks I didn’t want to interfere with the view of the dual res from the front of the case, or side panel. Antec did include some LED strips as part of the fan package but its too much, the Prizms provide more than enough RGB on this one. I added in all custom cable combs for the individually sleeved cables and the only part I am not quite happy with is the logo panel. I tried to bring over the ASUS font but I think its missing something, I am not quite sure what but overall it’s a lovely-looking system.

I’ve yet to test this one out as I have been so busy with work but I am sure I will follow it up, Elements of this are going into another build quite soon and so I need to crack on, luckily I now have 3 weeks off so there’s plenty of time for that. As always I am so grateful to all my partners, in particular, Antec and PowerColor on this one, and its a big shout out to them. Initially, Antec sent over the parts for this build before Christmas, and fortunately, PowerColor was willing to join me as I finally started to make some progress.

So that's another one done, hope you followed along, now to leave you with a timelapse of th build and some little pics!

Back
Top Bottom