Rebuilding Brick Outhouse

Soldato
I have a brick outhouse at the bottom of my garden which is in really poor shape and needs knocking down and rebuilding. It it approx 3m wide x 4m long and 4m high.

On https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings it states the following
  • Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
  • Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.
Which means that the existing brick shed isn't legal as it is over 4m high and backs directly onto the back lane. I imagine that it is the same age as the house which was built around 1880ish when I guess the regulations were different.

If I knock it down and rebuild it, am I limited to a max height of 2.5m or can I go up to the existing 4m?

Soldato
If you knock it down and replace it like for like (no external difference in appearance), you wouldn't need planning.

It isn't 'illegal', as planning laws would have come in after it was built. You just couldn't build it out of the blue (if it hadn't existed before) as it wouldn't fall under permitted development and you would need planning permission.

Soldato
OP
If I knock it down am I allowed to lower the roof? At the moment it’s at a 45 degree angle looks ridiculous for a 4m outhouse. I’d like to reduce it to a more normal angle but that would probably be around 3m high (and thus higher than the current rules permit)

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

If I knock it down am I allowed to lower the roof? At the moment it’s at a 45 degree angle looks ridiculous for a 4m outhouse. I’d like to reduce it to a more normal angle but that would probably be around 3m high (and thus higher than the current rules permit)

If you rebuild it and it looks substantially different, you would need to follow current planning/permitted development regs (fyi you still have to follow building regs even if if replacing 'like for like').

I would say changing the height and pitch of the roof is a substantial difference.

Back
Top Bottom