Recent Car Purchase - Rear Tyre Condition

Soldato
Recently I bought a car which is just over 3 years old, before I went ahead with the purchase I could see the front tyres were due to be changed and requested for that to be done and a fresh MOT to be put on the vehicle as it was due in 4 months from the date of purchase. The vehicle had an RAC Inspection, 2 new tyres on the front and an MOT which was a PASS with no advisory's listed.

Now if we fast forward 8 weeks later I have noticed an issue with my rear tyres. The car appears to have been stood from November 2019 until July 2020 doing only a couple of hundred miles therefore I did notice perishing on the rears as shown below but as there was enough tread on them I couldn't imagine them being willing to change and I was happy with them if both RAC Inspection and MOT had no issues with them.

It was only when I noticed the extent of the cracking in the tread that I am unhappy with the condition of them as they have gone through an Inspection and MOT when in my opinion they shouldn't have meaning they would have been changed prior to pick up.

I called the dealership who told me to take it down to the Garage/MOT place that dealt with the vehicle to "Check them out, to determine whether or not they are safe" I was told they are currently an advisory and not a fail on the MOT which is when I said I can only assume if they are an advisory now then they were an Advisory 8 weeks ago which he then explained if the car had been sat they can start cracking once driven which I didn't have the knowledge to argue the point but as a "Good Will" gesture he is willing to replace them for cost price but in my eyes that is almost admitting they were not checked properly at the time?

Again I called where I bought the car from and explained what the garage said and went into how I would like either them or the garage to cover the tyres as I believe they should have been changed before collection he then went on to explain that he will contact them to determined who should pick up the bill and contact me but obviously I am yet to hear anything from them.

Should I just go elsewhere, get some tyres and be done with or do you believe I am well with in my rights to push for them to cover the costs?

Currently using my partners car until I get them sorted as I don't feel comfortable driving around with my 12 week old in the vehicle with tyres in such a state.

P8d5sv5.jpg

tEMbnKw.jpg

UBoI47c.jpg

Soldato
If the garage weren't in the wrong, there wouldn't be any goodwill gestures. Those do look rather bad for their age and I'd want them replaced. They can't age like that in 8 weeks.

Soldato
What is the manufacture date on them? They look old.

New tyres can sit in storage for something like 5 years, but if they are used and then left to sit out in the sun for ages they will go bad like that.

Soldato
OP
Cripes quite surprised at the state of them for a car that young

Are both sides the same?

Yes both sides are the same.

If the garage weren't in the wrong, there wouldn't be any goodwill gestures. Those do look rather bad for their age and I'd want them replaced. They can't age like that in 8 weeks.

My thoughts exactly.

What is the manufacture date on them? They look old.

New tyres can sit in storage for something like 5 years, but if they are used and then left to sit out in the sun for ages they will go bad like that.

Not sure but I will take a look (Currently heavy rain so forgive the delay) They are a pair of Dunlop Sport Max with the original wheel weights so assuming on from new.

Update - I believe they are dated 2015? Perhaps I've read the wrong number. "001345/2015"

But... long story cut short they have agreed to go 50/50 and I am getting the tyre at cost price and fitting free which is £50 - I explained how despite the compromise I still feel that no costs should fall on me 8 weeks later but for the easy life I'll accept.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom