1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recomend a DVD Writer

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by Atomic, 4 May 2006.

1. Atomic

Hitman

I'm having problems with my Plextor PX 716A and I think it's pretty much dieing as it has trouble recognising blank dics and reading any kind of disc in the drive.

I now want to replace it with a not so expensive DVD Writer and was looking at the Asus branded DVD writers that are available here at OCUK, and wondered are they any good? I don't want to spend more than £35, and it must be black (to fit with the case design). It also must be IDE and be a okay to be a slave to the Plextor PX-116A drive which is my main DVD drive for general disc usage.

Also does the Asus branded retail versions come with any good writing software? Plextools has been fine for me, but am guessing that wont work with a brand like Asus, and I don't want to have to install Nero due to the fact t installs lots of other things on my PC that I don't want like audio codecs.

2. Atomic

Hitman

Also another question.

I have a Asus A8V deluxe mobo, which for me has been superb and I do have one SATA HDD on one SATA port, would a SATA DVD RW be cmpatible with this MOBO?

Also are DVD RW's better off bythemselves or suplimented by a DVD reader for general things like software installs etc?

I also have a CD Rom cable that came with my MOBO, will that be okay to use on DVD Drives? It's labeled as 'CD Rom Cable'..I just want to replace the other ribbon IDO cable because, well I have my reasons :)