Recommend a Cable Router please

Soldato
currently have a Linksys WRT54GL - which is ok - but I think getting a bit long in the tooth

no firmware patches for it these days etc

(tried DDT (?) etc 3rd party firmwares but didn't get on with them)

is the best one to go for these days still the DIR-655 ? which seems to get rave reviews - or has it been surpassed ?

budget definately < £100

cheers, Mark.

Associate
You've got the best one, because of the ability to run 3rd party firmware, which puts other routers in your bracket to shame.

You should only think about upgrading when your networking requirements surpass it, i.e. 50mb broadband or wireless N.

Soldato
OP
thanks guys - will retry 3rd party firmware then :)

tomato - yes I think - and it all looked great

excepted I couldn't get "outside" of the internal network

ie I could connect to the router fine - and adjust all the settings, but no matter what - I couldn't get to the other side of the router - ie to the internet. I tried rebooting the cable modem many times to ensure it was registered with that device but to no avail :( not sure what I was doing wrong at all

DD-RT was ok but I found it pretty slow ? (I',m not sure if I installed the slim version or not)

Associate
I had a similar problem with an adsl modem, the dsl-320b and tomato, its half bridge mode upset the router and I ended up with a connection that looked fine but there were two lines missing from the routing table.
It's apparently a common problem with this trick that some modems pull in half bridge mode of passing their internal ip address as the default gateway to the router which the linux based firmware does not like.
I added two lines to the WAN up part of the scripts that I pulled off an Australian forum and everything was fine after that.

Back
Top Bottom