• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Recommend Graphics card(s)

Associate
I need some advice please:-

I'm looking to connect 4x 42inch Plasma or LCD TV's (yes, I said 4 :cool: ) to a single server class PC (8 gig ram, top spec PC).

The problem I have is I lack experience / knowledge of having done this before. Obvioulsy I'll need a few decent graphics cards to connect the screens to - this is where I need some help.

Can you please recommend the graphic(s) cards to use. Is it best to connect by DVI? One issue could be that 1 screen will need a 70m cable run to the server! Would this cause signal loss and can I get / make a DVI lead that long?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Budget isn't too much of an issue either :cool:

Thanks

Man of Honour
DVI would give you the crispest clearest signal but you may find that there are problems with the lengths of cable involved, from a quick search I can't find any exact figures but one place says 9.6m is the maximum length to remain within specification. What you may need in that situation is a DVI repeater or amplifier. VGA appears to have even less of a range.

I don't know if such a product exists but what about a wireless broadcasting system as that should make it possible?

Soldato
I've seen VGA cables up to 40 metres installed at a church. There was some ghosting which the chap got rid of somehow. May have been the quality of the cable.

Soldato
For the 70m run you maybe better off condiering a seperate PC and using a network link and a terminal services conection or somethin similar. Not sure if you'll get a cable that long and if you will what quality it will be.

Associate
OP
a1ex2001 said:
For the 70m run you maybe better off condiering a seperate PC and using a network link and a terminal services conection or somethin similar. Not sure if you'll get a cable that long and if you will what quality it will be.

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing but didn't want the inconvenience of having 3 client PC's just to operate 3 of the screens. This may indeed be the only option.

Availability of LAN ports isn't an issue it's just finding somewhere to hide the PC and still make it accessible if a reboot is needed!

Back
Top Bottom