Recommend me a 22" LCD TV/monitor.

Associate
Whilst I'm still happy with my trusty 19" Samsung CRT, my 14" portable TV doesn't really cut it for playing my Xbox 360 these days. So I'm considering getting a new TV/monitor to get down to one slightly bigger screen.

I realise that this will be a compromise - it won't be 1080P and it won't have great sound. But I'm not looking to pay the earth and I'm not wanting a lot of hassle in setting it all up.

I've had a look at a few screens and have a few ideas. Firstly is the LG M228WA and second is the Samsung SM-225MW or the very similar Samsung SM-225MD.

What else is there that I should consider? Of those, which would you recommend? I'd consider £300 to be the absolute most I'd pay, and I'd rather spend less if possible. Just not sure what else to consider as monitors are not my strong point.

Cheers in advance for the advice.

s-p

s-p

Associate
Well the first thing you have to ask yourself is whether you need/want freeview built into the monitor. Last week I took delivery of the "freeview" version of the LG M228WA, which I'm suprised OcUK don't stock. It appears they have the LG 22LS4D, but the LG M228WD is a good £80 cheaper than that particular model.

Effectively I had a choice between the M228WD and SM-225MD. But put simply, without any suitable reviews on the web, I simply couldn't justify the price premium of the Samsung over the LG. I'll get some real life pictures of the M228WD in action if that's of any assistance to you? However, as my 360 is currently away with the fairies, I only be able to provide images of VGA (PC), Freeview and a rather poor analoge signal I have.

Cnet do have a review which you might give you some further insight into this particular model...

Associate
OP
If you've any pics that'd be great thanks.

Have you had any issues with things like backlight bleed? I'm not expecting anything amazing as I said, I realise it's a compromise and a budget screen, but I'm still interested in various different things about the monitor. I'd imagine the M228WD is basically the same screen as the M228WA, with the tuner being the only difference.

How have you found the sound? I realise it's gonna be a bit on the tinny side, but is it at least watchable for TV?

I'll have a look for the Cnet review.

Cheers

Soldato
well since my portable CRT tvs at home blew over the past 2 months my mum decided she was going to get me a 19" for my room that she could move into the kitchen during my uni term time, I tried to push her for a 22" but we settled on 20", then after seeing the prices I decided id push her to get a 32" to put in the unused living room for me to just use that and she bit, to be honest what would you rather have for your xbox, a 32" 720p or a 22" for a few quid less thats neither 1080p or 720p.
Xbox360 doesnt do true 1080p does it, it only upscales to 1080p?

Associate
OP
A 32" TV doesn't make for a good computer monitor.

Besides, the screens I'm looking at would do 720p with ease. The CNET review for the LG M228WD that s-p mentioned says it's 1900 x 1200, meaning it'll do 1080p as well.

The Xbox 360 can output at 1080p if you set it to. I'm guessing what you mean by true 1080P is whether the game is rendered at that. Most are 720p, some are 1080i.

Soldato
hm, depends what you are used to i guess, iv generally only 1280x1024 on a 17-19" all my life, except now iv got a 1440x900 15" laptop, which i find 2 small =)

Though i LOVE hooking either up to my 37" 720p TV at my parents house and having a sesh on a few games, watching some films(my workstation monitors arnt widescreen so they ruin my film experience!) I find it fine for browsing and messenger etc too, though obviously its bigger than a 32", i sit further away from it, but i can easily imagine a 32" on this desk to the side of me, pushed a bit further back to use too, then keep my 19" and dualscreen it.

Yea i meant rendered at 1080, always found it silly people saying it upscales them to it as an advantage, because decent TVs often do pretty much the same job themselves heh.

Well if the LG is 1900x1200 that sounds decent, you not thought of going with the 24" OcUK monitor, its supposed to be pretty damn good, there was a bad batch not so long ago but from the thread it seems like its sorted again. means you get 2" more, the same res, and theyre decent panels?

Back
Top Bottom