1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me a Antivirus and Firewall.

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by GSDog, 26 Mar 2006.

1. GSDog

Soldato

Hi all,

I have been using AVG free edition for a while, but for some reason it messed up, and I don't really trust it anymore. I know NOD32 was a very highly recommended AV a while ago - has opinions changed? I remember trying it about 6 months ago and I was very impressed, light on resources, caught everything I threw at it. Do you like NOD32?

I also need a software firewall, I would like a free one because I already have router firewall which is doing a good job. I did use Sygate a while ago, which was good - do you like and recommend Sygate, or should I get a different one?

Thanks in advance.

2. hyper_piper45

Mobster

At the moment i am using Kaspersky Anti Virus and Kerio Personal firewall. Both seem pretty good and i've had no problems so i suppose they are working :)

3. AnastieByte

Hitman

I have used Norton and at present Mcafee. However some recent research showed Nod32 to be the best if not complicated then as mentioned kaspersky. Bitdefender 9 is user friendly. Avast is also good.

4. [email protected]

Hitman

At the moment im using Zone Alarm Antivirus And Firewall

Cant Fault it

5. ray

Gangster

Same here. ZoneAlarm tends to get pretty good reviews as well.

6. AnastieByte

Hitman

As a firewall ZA is OK but I would not recommend their AV . If you want a free AV look at Avast site. My wife had AVG free edition on her laptop I tried Avast and it found virus that AVG missed!

7. fozzybear

Sgarrista

Yeah, using Zone Alarm Security Suite here. I'm very impressed.

8. mysticsniper

Sgarrista

I am using Kaspersky Anti Virus Personal Pro and Windows SP2 Firewall. I am very happy with the AV; its the best I have ever used, much better than Norton's who I used previously. Highly recommended :)

9. 9761

Mobster

Zonealarm Firewall with avast antivirus gets my vote.

10. Bradmax57

Sgarrista

Avast for the av defo

11. GSDog

Soldato

Wow, 6 months ago a thread like this was smothered with NOD32. I actualy decided to go with NOD32 again, I was extremely pleased with it when I tried just the trial version 6 months ago. It's so quick and uses hardly any resources.
    It found 4 trojans last night.... AVG has dissapointed me, it just kept crashing when I started my PC and it missed 4 trojans!

Think I will go for Zonealarm for a firewall then.

Thanks for the suggestions.

12. lumocolor

PermaBanned

Symantec Corp. Edition v9 (The BEST)

13. G-MAN2004

Caporegime

Norton AV 2006 and ZoneAlarm.

14. 8BaLL

Gangster

Avast no sweat more features than any i have come across most updated and least for giving false reports and simple to use also sygate is a nice firewall very good protection.

15. Richdog

Caporegime

Aghh @ anyone reccommending Norton as the best home AV... it's not even in the top 3 as far as overall quality and effectiveness goes.

NOD32 is the best AV out there, detection rate is just behind Kaspersky (which is very buggy btw), and yet overall performance is FAR in excess of anything else on the market, it is simply superlative in its skimpy resource use, scanning speed, and outstanding detection rate.

Norton is the complete and utter opposite. :(

As far as firewall goes, ZA is probably the best free one, yet Outpost Pro is the undisputed king of all software firewall solutions, it is a comprehensive and near bullet-proof solution.

16. AnastieByte

Hitman

I was also surprised how reasonable NOD32 is priced. Decided to test Avast free edition and it beats AVG hands down IMO. Firewall I used ZA for years then had a few probs and use Sygate now with no problems :)

17. Bradmax57

Sgarrista

in what way?

18. AnastieByte

Hitman

If you mean how was Avast better than AVG? Despite AVG fully up to date. When I installed Avast it found 4 virus that AVG missed.

19. Bradmax57

Sgarrista

ah, i thought avast was avg :o

20. Scream

Mobster

And if you try NOD32 or Kaspersky, they will find a number of virii which Avast missed making it look very average. But saying all that, I will agree, Avast is better than AVG.