1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me a Cable router

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by HangTime, 31 Jul 2006.

1. HangTime

Man of Honour

I'm getting NTL installed at the weekend and I'll probably need some kind of wireless cable router as the office is upstairs. My requirements are:

-Must offer very low latency
    -Must have at least 100mbit full duplex switch
    -Must have ethernet ports as well as 54g wireless
    -Preferably easy to configure
    -Nothing excessively expensive (no budget per se but under £70 would be good)

Any recommendations?

From looking around I get the impression that unlike ADSL, most cable routers seem to simply daisy chain onto the standard modem rather than replace it altogether.

2. tolien

Caporegime

Once again, I'd suggest a Linksys WRT54GL. Fills all your requirements, and has the option of (feature enhancing) non-Linksys firmware. For more details, www.linksysinfo.org is your friend.

Don't think a router exists that doesn't just use your existing cable modem - not that the cableco would let you just change your modem anyway.

3. hsp70

Hitman

i suggest the D-Link DGL-4300

a shame you weren't looking for one earlier as OCUK were selling off their last few at a very reasonable price. The D-Link DGL-4300 is one of the very few routers for the home market that has some form of QOS (only on upload, they call it "game fuel" ) so latency sensitive apps like VOIP and online games get a decent ping even on a busy network. Plus it has gigabit lan as an added bonus.

I have one myself and am very happy with it. With 3-4 computers sharing a 10meg connection (including someone who p2p's like mad) even when under a lot of load (by that i mean concurrent connections and not bandwidth) i'm able to get a decent connection on my computer.

Before, on my old netgear rp114, if someone was heavily running bittorrent no one else was able to even load a webpage. The router just couldn't handle so many connections. With the D-Link, bittorent packets are flagged as low priority so we the connection is still usable in my house :)

4. HangTime

Man of Honour

Looks reasonable - currently using a WAG54G for adsl so configuration should hopefully be fairly similar.

5. tolien

Caporegime

The WRT has it too, including layer 7 packet inspection (though you probably need something like DD-WRT to use it), for what it's worth.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2006