1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me some software please

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by JaseUK, 19 Apr 2010.

1. JaseUK

Wise Guy

Recommend me anti virus/backup software please

Guys,
    I'm after an anti-virus software that will scan the computer before it boots into Windows. I currently use Microsoft Security Essentials which is great but it doesnt do the pre boot scan. I had a quick look at Ultimate Boot CD http://www.ubcd4win.com/ but wanted to know if anyone is able to recommend it.

I am also after some imaging software and I know you are all going to point me to Acronis but I feel there is probably an alternative out there.
    I am aware W7 has its own built in backup software but I need to make a backup of an XP installation.

cheers
    Jase

Last edited: 19 Apr 2010
  2. jbloggs

Soldato

Last edited: 19 Apr 2010
  3. Philtor

Soldato

4. pastymuncher

Man of Honour

Seagate disk tools is a version of Acronis true image and is free. It works on all of my drives, Seagate, Samsung and Western Digital. It's a great piece of software.

With regards to AV's that scan pre-boot, i thought most did this. Comodo internet security and Avast certainly do it and they are both free.

5. Stelly

Don

Macrium Reflect is amazing... and they have a free version, if its not cheap enough anyway :)

Stelly

6. jbloggs

Soldato

DiscWizard and Maxblast (which are the same and is basically Acronis True Image Home) require either a Seagate or Maxtor HDD for it too work, WD also have Acronis True Image WD Edition which also needs a WD HDD to be installed for it too work...

SeaTools is the Seagate Diagnostic utility for HDDs, it has no backup facility...

7. eXor

Mobster

Avira Rescue Disk.

I wonder if it can be made to run from flash / hard disk, the way Ubuntu LiveCDs can...

8. JaseUK

Wise Guy

Thanks for all the replies guys, absolutely brill as always.

I do like the look of Macrium Reflect and the Hirens boot cd, will be defo giving them a try out. :)

Its a shame MSE doesnt have a pre-boot scan option as I really like the simplicity of the software.

9. Stelly

Don

Macrium is really good, and if you buy now I think that they are offering a free upgrade to version 5 when it comes out in the next few months.

Stelly