Recommend me some speakers and keep the wife happy

Associate
Morning all,

Am looking to upgrade my setup, got atm B&W 602s3, Marantz PM7200 linked to a Self build media centre PC.

So i'm thinking of some new Speakers, Standmounts or floorstanders but they must be a silver/dark wood colour combination ( what wife wants ), shop wise I can get to Sevenoaks or Audio T shops.

I have approx 5-600 pounds to play with, will I see a good increase in listening pleasure with this budget.

Any commets welcomed.

Babyface UK

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I can't say I'm really up on aesthetics for home stereo kit. Look at my own and you'd understand.
Some of the better looking kit that I've seen includes units from Castle (who make lovely cabinet work), proac and totem (who make very thin floorstanders that somehow sound pretty good). Go have a look in your local dealers for ideas.

Just one point, looks like you're relying on a soundcard for your music output. Assuming you have a digital output on your PC, would probably be worth spending some of your budget on a decent external DAC and run your PC via that to your stereo. I'd expect some good improvements from that. Infact that's what I've started to do with my new PC. Never used for music, but looks and sounds good on movies.

Associate
OP
Mr_Sukebe said:
I can't say I'm really up on aesthetics for home stereo kit. Look at my own and you'd understand.
Some of the better looking kit that I've seen includes units from Castle (who make lovely cabinet work), proac and totem (who make very thin floorstanders that somehow sound pretty good). Go have a look in your local dealers for ideas.

Just one point, looks like you're relying on a soundcard for your music output. Assuming you have a digital output on your PC, would probably be worth spending some of your budget on a decent external DAC and run your PC via that to your stereo. I'd expect some good improvements from that. Infact that's what I've started to do with my new PC. Never used for music, but looks and sounds good on movies.

I might get a cd player on loan to compare with the PC and go from there.

Babyface UK

Associate
OP
update, off to local supplier to demo some Monitor RS6's speakers and some kind of cd player, to compare with pc sound, will post results.

Have a question but will post new thread.

Babyface UK

Back
Top Bottom