Recommendation / check time: motherboard and RAM

Soldato
This PC is becoming too flakey and it's time for an upgrade anyway.

The main uses are (not in any order) gaming, browsing, and MS Office. I will not be overclocking.

I'm thinking of Z370 / i5-8400. I may indulge in an 8700. As I game at 4K with two Maxwell Titan X cards I need SLI support. I expect to be dropping mGPU with my next GPU upgrade, but for now I need it.

I need recommendation for the RAM. I want 32 GB - and preferably 2x 16 GB sticks - and the RAM has to fit underneath my CR-95C CPU cooler, so none of those fancy ram coolers please. I know RAM is expensive right now and 32 GB is an indulgence.

I'm looking at the Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming. On my GA-Z77 motherboard there is a gap of 2-3mm between the CPU cooler and the first GPU. So on the Z370 mobo I need the mount points for the CPU cooler and position of the primary x16 slot to be in exactly the same places. Can anyone check this? Paging @GIGA-Man . I'm aware that on the Nofan compatibility page it says that it won't fit, but it says that about my GA-Z77 too and as long as there's no backplate it's fine.

PS The CPU cooler means that Ryzen is not possible.

Last edited:
Associate
The info I have says it wont fit either, I don't want to recommend it if it's not going to fit.. The PCIe slots are in a very similar place to Z77 but still cannot be 100% sure it's going to be okay... sorry I cannot be more help.

Soldato
The RAM needs to be less than 40mm high as measured from the motherboard surface.

yeah, I won't use that with any 6 core coffeelake ! specially if 8700 non K boosts up to 4.3ghz on all core via MCE ...

overclockers doing alphacools slim eisbaer 360 for £90 that can handle the K at 5ghz .

I believe all boards now use roughly the same layout with PCIe x16 being the 2nd slot on the board

Soldato
OP
yeah, I won't use that with any 6 core coffeelake ! specially if 8700 non K boosts up to 4.3ghz on all core via MCE ...

Why not? All that's important is the TDP. The non-K 8700 has a TDP of 65W so I'll be fine.

The info I have says it wont fit either, I don't want to recommend it if it's not going to fit..

Thanks. Could I impose upon you for the exact distance on the Z370? I can check my Z77 myself. Preferably measured on the back so I don't have to dismantle my PC just yet.

Soldato
Why not? All that's important is the TDP. The non-K 8700 has a TDP of 65W so I'll be fine.

Thanks. Could I impose upon you for the exact distance on the Z370? I can check my Z77 myself. Preferably measured on the back so I don't have to dismantle my PC just yet.

Ask anyone who's had coffeelake chips like myself . Also there's a little sneak with Intel, they states TDP at optimum work load, AMD stated ryzen TDP at full whack, why people are able to use their stock cooler on their 8 core chips up to 3.7ghz ...

See some reviews, you'll see it actually pulls a lot more, specially when your abkento set all cores to run at full 4.3ghz ! And MCE likes to apply volts .

8700 is a damn good chip now it's cheaper , but don't underestimate the heat coffeelake can put out !

Soldato
OP
See some reviews, you'll see it actually pulls a lot more, specially when your abkento set all cores to run at full 4.3ghz !

I've read a couple and am uncertain of their methodology and measurements. The ones I've found (e.g. this one) don't detail the source of the measurements. Are they measuring power draw at the wall, for instance? Do the measurements include the motherboard power draw?

And then there are articles like this one in which the CPU is shown to limit itself.

Soldato
I've read a couple and am uncertain of their methodology and measurements. The ones I've found (e.g. this one) don't detail the source of the measurements. Are they measuring power draw at the wall, for instance? Do the measurements include the motherboard power draw?

And then there are articles like this one in which the CPU is shown to limit itself.

90% of coffeelake heat is down to their poor TIM and not soldering, what it boils down to .

Soldato
Bump. The crashing has got really silly and I'm taking a chance on the motherboard. I'm also treating myself to an 8700 (non-k).

Non K is a nice little chip! Seems some Aorus boards selling with farcry 5 codes !
Lots of ram on sale to .. think there's team group 32gb going for £270 and £300 on sale

If it helps, Intel's new boards should be next week ;)

Soldato
OP
Non K is a nice little chip! Seems some Aorus boards selling with farcry 5 codes !
Lots of ram on sale to .. think there's team group 32gb going for £270 and £300 on sale

Unfortunately I require low profile RAM and had to order from the river as OCUK were out of stock.

If it helps, Intel's new boards should be next week ;)

Too late for me. But if they're that much better I'll upgrade.

Soldato
OP
I'll survive with just one GPU. And my CPU doesn't overclock. To use a CLC that large I would need a new case unless the pump was in the radiator as in the FT05 the CPU would be the highest point.

Back
Top Bottom