recommendation for Games like Halo series

Associate
Hey yall, I'm a bit of a patient gamer and don't know many modern games. I'm excited for Cyberpunk but otherwise am almost oblivious to games of the past century.
I've played the heck out of the Halo series recently and love it. What games are there with similar campaigns new or old that I could play?

Associate
OP
i'd say Deus ex
depends how much of a story you want.
Boarderlands series is run and gun, i've been enjoying 3 so far.
is multiplay a must?
I'm not all that bothered with multiplayer.
How's the gun play in Deus Ex I read it's not as much a fps as an rpg on rails.
I'll give both a look though. Thank you

Associate
There aren't really any games like the older Halos imo.

But if we're mentioning some recomendations.. If you have an rtx gpu then Quake 2 RTX is worth a punt. Not played it myself, only OG Quake 2. Q2 with an HD mod is really good.

Soldato
Bioshock (all of them) are the most similar story based shooters I can think of, although they do have some RPG elements.
Possibly the Far Cry games - although they are more open world

What did you like/not like about Halo?

Also, what is your PC like? No point recommending newer games if you can't run them :D

Associate
OP
Bioshock (all of them) are the most similar story based shooters I can think of, although they do have some RPG elements.

Also, what is your PC like? No point recommending newer games if you can't run them :D

Loved:
- Smart, varied AI that require diversified tactics to beat.
- Intuitive difficulty curve (sans Halo 2 Legendary :rolleyes:).
- Well paced campaigns; each level fluidly moves into the next plus the levels often feel expansive even if they are very linear.
- Fun weapons sandbox that encourage the player to pick up and try various weapons (broken by noob combo tho).
- Level designs are just straight up fun to explore.
- The lore/universe is v engaging.

Really loved:
- Amazing coop for campaign, firefight etc.
- Great multiplayer, SWAT, Big Team, CTF etc
- Custom games <3
- Forge - creating things for custom games
- Aesthetics (Halo reach being peak)

Didn't like:
- slow section; Halo CE has this often.
- quick time events; H4
- H5 is just moving between 1 arena after another. Found it incredibly boring.
- Dull AI in H4
- Later games expected people to be caught up on the books. Unfortunately I don't have time for required background reading for a video game.
- A small amount of weapons are absolutely useless.
- Flood only levels that are more fun to speedrun than play through properly. Think H2 elevator section on the Oracle level.

Associate
OP

i7-4790k 4.4GHz
GTX 980
16GB RAM 3.2GHz

Associate
Another vote for F.E.A.R games. I remember playing the first one after having spent the whole night building an Opteron/7900GT system. I was so tired & kinda strung out -the opening 30 minutes or so of the game really gave me the shivers.

Back
Top Bottom