Recommendations for £700 VR Build pls

Soldato
Targeted at playing HL Alyx really , limited funds to play with so it's an entry build. Would appreciate a recommend spec...cheers

*Nvidia cards better for VR?
*SSDs not required.
*Have a spare Micro-atx case

Permabanned
Have you already got an SSD or do you think it'd better to skip it?
SSD is a must because otherwise your system will be unpleasant for daily use.

I recommend this since it's very difficult to fit in the budget and get anything too fancy.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £709.15 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Windows 10 license key can be had these days for around $8, the case has place for DVD/Blu-ray drive, so you could also write discs for your car audio system or home hi-fi.

Man of Honour

Soldato
OP
Have you already got an SSD or do you think it'd better to skip it?
SSD is a must because otherwise your system will be unpleasant for daily use.

I recommend this since it's very difficult to fit in the budget and get anything too fancy.

Total: £709.15 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Windows 10 license key can be had these days for around $8, the case has place for DVD/Blu-ray drive, so you could also write discs for your car audio system or home hi-fi.

Yeah I've got 2x120GB and a spare 1TB M2 which is currently in a NUC at the moment, so that an be skipped.

Cheers for that, was being realistic so I was expecting a low entry build. I was looking at just plumping for a Hades Canyon NUC , few years old I know and whilst isn't spec to run HL Alyx seems to cope with it fine. ( Currently have a Skull Canyon model and I like the form factor )

Your recommendation looks good though, also second hand parts are fine so I'll use yours as a template. Thanks

Soldato
Targeted at playing HL Alyx really , limited funds to play with so it's an entry build. Would appreciate a recommend spec...cheers

*Nvidia cards better for VR?
*SSDs not required.
*Have a spare Micro-atx case

Very important question...

What headset are you using? Given some of them have massively different resolutions to run so it will be good to know roughly how much gpu grunt will be needed.

Soldato
OP

Cheers mate, been a few years since I built my own PC but I'm starting to recall how the head hurts with all the potential configs lol, especially on a budget.

Soldato
OP
To be fair i THINK the quest 2 has higher resolution displays than the index ;) totals up to something like 3800x3600 il see if i can spec something i think would be more suitable for that!

Excellent, cheers.

Your welcome .

You have access to the members market you could get a lot more for your money but if something goes wrong.

Yeah, that's the trade off. Depends on the savings really. Thanks again

Soldato
Personally in your situation and use case i would do something like this :

Total: £724.01 (includes shipping: £11.10)

I chose the RTX 2060 over the 5600XT as i personally have issues with AMDS gpus and driver instability however your results may vary and you could easily swap out the gpu for a 5600XT for the same price if you wanted. the 2060 and 5600XT basically trade blows in benchmarks so they are quite evenly matched. The only other thing to consider is the 5600XT will give you 2GB more V-Ram and that may be worth researching for your headset. How much Vram will half life draw upon if it's more than 6GB you may be better with the 5600XT

Went a tiny bit over on budget but you should get free shipping so your probably looking at £710 for the above.

EIDT : Also as above you have access to members market. Im pretty sure you could get something like a 1080ti or a 2070 for the same cost as the new 2060/5600XT

Soldato
OP
Yeah I can stretch £30 over my budget. I've trawled through the MM , missed a few decent deals but will keep an eye out. Definitely got a better idea of what to aim for now, maxmise my budget etc. Cheers all.

I did read HL's minimum is 6GB but as stated before people have been able to play Alyx on the Hades Canyon and it's mGPU has 4GB vram. No AMD/Nvidia preference here so I'll look into the 6GB v 8GB , more is better with VR Imagine and future proofing.

Back
Top Bottom