Recommendations for a £1000 road bike please

Soldato
Will be fitted with my own triathlon tri bars and used for time trials, road riding, commuting possibly and possibly a bit of touring.
Cycle to work scheme so £1000 limit?
Any suggestions please?

Had a Giant Defy 2 a few years ago which was ok. Thinking of a Boardman SLR 8.9 possibly?

Soldato
The Boardman looks nice and if it's anything like my Team Carbon will ride well enough to put much higher priced bikes to shame. The brakes on it though are hilariously bad unless you're in the drops, so that should probably be your first upgrade if you do get it.

Soldato
OP
Got it and ordered it. :)
It will come with 105 R7000 too. That was limited to 500 bikes apparently - 147 on the cycle scheme.
Then it goes back to Sora I think? That's what I was told at Halfords.

Soldato
Got it and ordered it. :)
It will come with 105 R7000 too. That was limited to 500 bikes apparently - 147 on the cycle scheme.
Then it goes back to Sora I think? That's what I was told at Halfords.

Sounds like you ordered the newish SLR 8.9c Limited Edition, carbon frame and 105 components. Frame is red and black IIRC, while the alloy framed SLR 8.9 is blue and black.

Soldato
OP
It turns out I'll be paying £60 a month for 12 months plus £100+vat at the end. Not quite the saving I was expecting as it was supposed to be £700 total, not £840 but my complaints fell on deaf ears.

It is 'a guide' they say. :(

Soldato
It turns out I'll be paying £60 a month for 12 months plus £100+vat at the end. Not quite the saving I was expecting as it was supposed to be £700 total, not £840 but my complaints fell on deaf ears.

It is 'a guide' they say. :(

Isn't some of that deduction per month from your gross pay including tax, so your net pay is not going to be £60pcm down?

Soldato
OP
Isn't some of that deduction per month from your gross pay including tax, so your net pay is not going to be £60pcm down?

Nope. £60 down from payslip to payslip - everything identical except push bike scheme. Was £63 salary sacrifice as £83 would take me under minimum wage apparently which they should never have authorised. £20 reduction in tax and ni so £43, but then they charged me £20 extra deduction to make up to £60 but then I don't get a salary sacrifice so it's a real £20 deduction.

So net I was £60 down.

They have confirmed some of that today after I queried it... Took a payroll manager to get involved to get someone who understood that I had a valid query.

Back
Top Bottom