Recommendations for a basic HTPC build please

Associate
Hi, I've got an old Dell Optiplex 360 SFF PP that I would like to turn into a basic HTPC and I'm looking for recommendations for a Linux distro and software.

It's an old system with a Core2Duo cpu, 2GB ram (can be upgraded to 4GB) and a CD drive. I have a 1TB HDD that I can use and will give ample storage for ripped CDs and DVDs. I'll have to decide on whether to replace the CD drive with a DVD drive or an SSD (there's on more onboard SATA connectors).

Option to stream to tablet/phone would be nice but not essential. A web broswer for YouTube would be good.

I'm not greatly experienced with Linux but think it would be the best option to create as near enough a turnkey system as possible.

Suggestions appreciated.

Associate
OP
I'm running Kodi on a few Raspi's for non-smart TV's, if it works well one Kodi it'll run find on that laptop

Thanks AHarvey, sounds like a good plan. The Dell comfortably exceeds the requirements of any of those distros so should be fine. It's a small form factor PC by the way.

Thanks for the tip about Yatse - I've heard about Kodi but not Yatse, so that's good to know.

Soldato
yeah, I used to use Kodi on a Pi to a non-smart TV downstairs until we got the hisense, although I can't get Disney+ on it.

Daughter just got a small TV from her great grandmother, no a smart TV so a raspi 3 setup for her, went with OSMC this time though for her. She can run Youtube, Netflix and Disney+ on there that she controls via her android tablet.

I think you can get Spotify on there too.

I've not used them directly on Linux, always been a stand-alone raspi setup, but your install may have web services to connect to for basic info/settings adjustments, you can also ftp/remote in as well so it shouldn't need a keyboard or mouse.

Back
Top Bottom