Recommendations for a non-gaming PC - newbie

Associate
I've been out of the loop for quite some time (over 15 years) and looking to put together a new desktop for general work and light photoshop (hobby).

Budget is around £1400 and I already have 2 screens which I intend to keep, Dell UltraSharp U2515H (2560 x 1440)

As I'm not interested in a gaming rig my only graphics requirements are that it should run my current screens and hopefully a 3rd monitor (which I will add later as funds permit). If it can run 4x 4k monitors at not much more expense, then even better for future proofing.

I’d rather buy Intel rather than AMD, just a personal preference.

To kick things off, here’s my current wish list:
  • Intel 9th gen Core i7 9700k
  • Samsung 1TB EVO M2 NVME x 2
  • 32GB RAM (I guess Crucial)
Not sure on motherboard, graphics card or CPU, could someone pls advice.
Or even if onboard graphics will do the job.

Prefer a white case with see-through on one side as I quite light the idea of LED strips.

Additional bits like case fans, heatsinks and paste I have no idea on. Also, prefer to have a quiet PC so anything that would help in that regard, would be appreciated.

I have a NAS I can use for additional storage, hence no spindle-drive on the desktop, which should keep it quiet.

Look forward to the recommendations, quite excited at my first rig since 2004!

Man of Honour
For your usage the 9700K is probably overkill, a 6-core 9500 or 9600 would do. I believe Photoshop currently benefits more from single-thread performance (high clocks / IPC) than it does from cores and threads. I don't know if the reduction in wait times from more expensive CPUs is worth it to you.

I think the integrated graphics (avoid F models cos they don't have any) can support three displays via DisplayPort: https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000025673/graphics-drivers.html

Unfortunately it's unlikely you'll get a motherboard with three DP. This may be a way around it (not your model display, close though), but I confess I've never tried it and I'm unsure of the limitations: https://www.dell.com/support/articl...r-daisy-chaining-on-intel-hd-graphics?lang=en

A low-end graphics card like the RX 550 or GT 1030 can add more displays if needed. Passive 1030s are available and the Sapphire RX 550 Pulse fan doesn't run in 2D. The IGP doesn't need to be disabled with a graphics card.

Cases: generally speaking cases are often optimised for gaming/cooling OR noise reduction. If you want quiet, it's usually better to have fewer larger fans that spin more slowly and avoid perforated bezels, front, top and side panels. Since you won't have a monster graphics card, I'd get the best CPU cooler you can and run minimal airflow over the motherboard heatsinks and SSDs. For example: I'd consider running just 1x low RPM 140mm intake fan with the exhaust handled by the PSU and CPU fans. Many high-end PSUs appear to have low load fan stop, so if you get one with decent wattage it should rarely turn on with no or a puny graphics card.

I'd check user reviews of the motherboard to avoid coil whine, but I don't know if this is still an issue with modern boards.

Back
Top Bottom