• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Recommendations for an uber cheap gaming CPU new or second hand

Associate
Looking for some recommendations for a really cheap cpu/mobo for one game only!

My main rig is in my sig below. I have just upgraded my gpu so now have a spare RTX 2080 and dont really want to sell it for pennies so was thinking of building a second very cheap rig to power my Sim Racing setup. I mainly play ACC which is pretty cpu intensive. Before i had my i7 9700K the sim rig was running on a 6700K @4.6GHz with my RTX 2080 and ACC run fine with my triples at 5760x1080p.

Because of this i would like recommendations for a cpu with equal or better performance than my old 6700k when it was running at 4.6GHz. I dont mind taking a gamble and buying second hand off the bay for a cpu as it will be going back if it is a dud.

For the last 15 years all my builds have been intel but i dont mind trying the AMD route if it works out cheaper and or better peformance.

Main thing is that it has to be cheap. Looking at around £150 ideally for a cpu & mobo if it can be done.

Any suggestions would be great!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Now the Ryzen 1600 AF seems discontinued I don't think there is much point looking to buy new at this budget. Just look for whatever the best you can find second hand is, I would assume this sort of budget would get you a 2600 paired with a b350/b450 mobo or similar. On the Intel side perhaps a 9400f but motherboards are more expensive so might need a bit of a luck to land it at £150 all in.

Soldato
Get the cheapest B350 board you can find used and a Ryzen 3100 to go with it. In terms of used CPUs you can sometimes get a 2700 close to the £100 mark and that.

Because of the resolution you play at you could get away with Ryzen 2xxx chips.

Associate
OP
Best go second hand for that money.
If ya had the budget then ryzen 5 3600. Although new CPUs out soon so id hold off personally.

Now the Ryzen 1600 AF seems discontinued I don't think there is much point looking to buy new at this budget. Just look for whatever the best you can find second hand is, I would assume this sort of budget would get you a 2600 paired with a b350/b450 mobo or similar. On the Intel side perhaps a 9400f but motherboards are more expensive so might need a bit of a luck to land it at £150 all in.

Get the cheapest B350 board you can find used and a Ryzen 3100 to go with it. In terms of used CPUs you can sometimes get a 2700 close to the £100 mark and that.

Because of the resolution you play at you could get away with Ryzen 2xxx chips.

Thanks for the replies. I was expecting most to say AMD would be the route to go. That is why I was posting as I really have no recent experience with their cpu's as it has been a long time since I built system with an AMD chip. Will take all the advice on board and get the wheels in motion with the build.

Cheers all! :)

Associate
What monitor do you recommend for sim racing? Is ghosting in a VA monitor affecting racing performance? And do you absolutely need the 144hz?

Back
Top Bottom