1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations for optical media...

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by glitch, 11 Mar 2010.

1. glitch

Mobster

Would some of you knowledgeable types be able to recommend me some blank CDs and DVD for my '09 MacBook Pro?

Not massively fussed about what they cost or who they are made by as long as they are reliable and will last for archival purposes.

Ta muchly!

2. plastik2k9

Associate

I cannot emphasise how good Verbatim optical media is. A problem with most disk brands is that they are what we call 'coasters'. They basically fail the write process. I have *never* had a Verbatim disk fail. They are of incredible quality it seems, and although they can be a little more expensive, you can be sure that most or all of them will work perfectly. Verbatim always have really good reviews as far as I can see.

You might see 500 Tesco Value CD-Rs for a fiver or something silly, and find that over half of them fail to burn. They might only last a few years before failing too.

3. glitch

Mobster

Thanks for the recommendation, plastik.

Are all Verbatim discs created equal, or are some more equal than others?

4. plastik2k9

Associate

I'm not sure I quite understand...

5. glitch

Mobster

I'll explain.

I'm looking at Verbatim media right now and in the CD-R section alone there are various types: 43411 Datalife 52x, 43309 Printable 48x, 43432 52x, etc etc. And when it comes to DVD there's even more variants.

Are some of them better than others or are they all pretty much the same?

EDIT: And if possible, I'd quite like them to have printable/writable tops, but that's not essential if the media quality suffers as a result.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2010
  6. plastik2k9

Associate

The number, like 52x, is basically the maximum speed they are supposed to burn at. When you burn a disk you get to choose the speed to burn. If it says something like 16x, don't burn at a speed higher than that because it might not work. In fact to guarantee success you should burn at a lower speed, depending on how patient you are obviously.

Printable ones can be printed directly onto using an inkjet printer that supports such printing. Most printers don't, so be careful there.

Lightscribe disks can use the laser in the drive to 'draw' a label onto the disk like this:
    http://images.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/710-lightscribe.jpg
    Again, most drives don't support this impressive feature, so don't buy these if you won't be lightscribing them, because you probably can't write on them.

If its not printable or lightscribe, then it will probably have a writeable surface on top, but make sure to only use special marker pens that are specifically for CDs. Ball point pens, pencils or markers can all damage the disk in different ways, markers being the worst because of the chemicals involved.

Verbatim also do 'extra protection' disks which are supposed to last longer, so I guess these are the best quality ones. These can also be written on.

EDIT:
    A few more things too.. DVD+R and DVD-R are not the same, but the Mac Book Pro from 2009 should definitely support both. It also supports DVD+R DL, which is dual layer and has double capacity.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2010
  7. glitch

Mobster

Okay, that all makes sense. Thanks for the detailed and very helpful information there.

I'd prefer the media to be printable as it makes my life easier when writing on them than having to bugger around with the shiny surfaces. I've got loads of important files I need to archive off and I'd find it easier if they had a white 'face' that I could squiggle on.

Is there any difference between DVD+ and DVD- apart from the obvious? Is one more widely supported or have we finally moved away from that situation where you had a optical drive that would only accept one or the other?

8. plastik2k9

Associate

DVD+R is supposedly a slightly more advanced and newer disk format. I have never noticed a difference in performance or compatibility to be honest, although sometimes DVD+R can be cheaper. You'll be fine either way as the Mac Book Pro supports either. I have no idea why both formats still exist, but I guess it's because of legacy disk burners.

9. glitch

Mobster

Fair enough.

Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions, plastik. Much appreciated, old chap!

10. plastik2k9

Associate

No problem :)

11. marmalade

Wise Guy

The best disks tend to be Taiyo Yuden irrespective of the label and the best format is +

12. stulid

Capo Crimine

Verbatim

13. johnyccc

Wise Guy

Another vote for Verbatim here. However, have a good search for the best prices. I usually buy spindles of 50 and have seen them range from £7.99 to ~£15 or so. Also - when I looked into this myself, there seemed some suggestion that Verbatam disks made in Japan ( I think ) were superior to those made in India ( I think ). So might be worth looking into that if you wish.

14. Geek.

Hitman

Verbatim here too never had a bad one!

15. And

Hitman

How you store optical media also has a bearing on their longevity.

cheers
    A

16. Geek.

Hitman

deleted