Recommendations on non-destructive wall fixings?

Soldato
I've got a couple of small things to put up in my kids room (clock, picture frames, art board etc). It's highly likely these things will need to move in the coming months/years so I don't really want to go drilling holes left right and centre.

I know you can get fixings like the 3M command strips, but they always seemed like the sort of thing on the shopping channel that looked good but was awful in reality! Any recommendations for such fixings?

Man of Honour
Most pictures in my house are held with command strips. Even some of the heavier solid wood frames. They are great. As long as you get the right size and follow the instructions to the letter they will perform to spec.

Soldato
Definitely command strips. We've also used them for all sorts and the weight limits they specify tend to be quite generous.

We've had one of their coat hooks on the back of a door for about 2 years and it's been fine. Its definitely been loaded with far too much on many occasions and is still going strong.

Soldato
Command strips didn't work on my paint/wall. Valspar. Not sure why but the frame came crashing down.

You can get the '3 pin' type picture hooks which don't exactly take a lot of effort to cover up.

Soldato
Command strips fell off for us as well, useless.

I just drill holes now and as said above its minimal effort to fill them.

also as suggested above picture hooks for small things

Associate
And if you do end up doing a proper job with plugs, get some DuoPower ones. I saw them recommended on here a couple years ago and they are great.

Soldato
I would just go 5m (red) wall plugs drilled in and make sure you tap it through the plaster with a nail/hammer.

Then it's easy to filler/paint over (much easier than any 3m /sticky strips!)

Soldato
OP
The trouble with filling and painting holes is that I don't know the colour on the walls, so it won't be a match.

I guess the command strips would leave a bit of a mark, but would certainly less obvious than a hole, or some white filler.

Back
Top Bottom