Recommended brand for (integrated) washing machines?

Associate
My 10-year-old integrated washing machine needs to be replaced and I'm looking for recommendations of which brand of machine to get as its replacement.

A while ago brands like Siemens had the best reputations. Is that still the case?

The more affordable brands I see these days are Candy, De Dietrich, Beko, Indesit etc. and I have no idea about the quality and reliability of these brands.

Any advice?

Associate
Miele are one of the best and one of the few independent brands with their own factory, Bosch and Siemens are the same brand basically and also top tier quality wise.

I had £2000 worth of LG washing machine and tumble drier and to be honest the reliability was terrible. Too many fancy electronics that constantly went wrong. They got replaced under warranty with Samsung and I've been more than happy so far, albeit my Samsung oven self destructed after a year.

The rest are virtually the same and probably all made in the same factories.Whirlpool, indesit and Hotpoint are all the same. Candy is the same as hoover. Electrolux makes all AEG , Zanussi and Trinity Bendix. Beko and Smeg also sub out their factories to the above and to some other better regarded brands like Hygena, so they are often glorified Bekos

Soldato
Best machines I've had so far are an old Indesit (before the days of much cheapness) and a Miele. Hotpoint and even a Bosch "Made in China" machne haven't been as good as I hoped. Maybe I was unlucky but not the first time I've had issues with Bosch stuff soon after the warranty expired
The Indesit washer/dryer lasted about 12 years in a hard water area without any treatment, so was a good machine. The £750 Bosch started going wrong soon after the warranty expired which is not the first time I've had this issue with Bosch. It's still going today but after 3 or 4 repairs under a D&G warranty which I took out when it first went wrong. Cancelled the policy now so it'll be replaced the next time it goes wrong. The hotpoint didn't last long and soon after buying it a plastic piece on the front started popping off requiring me to keep refitting it, eventually using tape to hold it in place.
The miele in my home is solid. Also managed to get a free warranty extension to 10 years. Wasn't cheap but with that extended warranty it's not bad value to be honest and was only £100 or so more than the crappy Bosch.

In future I'd probably buy Miele, Siemans maybe even Samsung, preferably looking at products in that order. I'd consider bosch again too. Used one in a flat I rented a few years ago and it was a nice machine - I probably got unlucky with mine.
Most manufacturers offer products at low price end of market but they're built down to a price. They probably won't last long.

Soldato
Had Smeg stuff in our previous house and no issues but quite pricey. In our 'new' house (we've been here 3 years) we bought new Beko stuff as a stopgap until we build an extension and I'm amazed at how good it's been. I have a Beko dishwasher, oven, washing machine and dryer and I can say they've been the best I've ever owned which was a shock.

Associate
Our 7 year old Miele is still going strong with zero issues so far. Used most days and multiple times on Saturday and Sunday

Man of Honour
DM Poole is writing a 7 chapter book on what to buy and what to avoid. To save some time, OP, you can read those 7 chapters in any other thread where he talks about vacuum cleaners :D

I've never talked about vacuum cleaners or tested them in a lab!

My advice is stay away from Whirlpool, Indesit, Ariston, Creda and Hotpoint.
I know it's 12 years since I tested their stuff in a Lab but I can only see their stuff getting worse eg tumble dryers.

Soldato
My go to list of appliances is Miele, Liebherr, Siemens (or German made Bosch) and LG. You pay a bit more but, law of averages assumed, you will get more use of of them which offsets the cost difference. Also, they typically do a better job than the cheaper alternatives, either in cleaning or in keeping food fresh.

Back
Top Bottom