Recording music - upgrade MacBook Pro or buy new laptop?

Associate
Hi all,

I'm looking to record music on my laptop (not EDM, just guitar, vox, etc.). At the moment I have:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Option one is I put a Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD in the MacBook, download Logic Pro X, and start recording...

Option two is I buy a more up-to-date laptop (heard good things about Dell XPS) - it'll perform better and (hopefully) last longer.

What do you think? Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Last edited:
Associate
Keep the mac and put a ssd into it...
Watch it fly..
I done that a few months ago and the mac dont lagg one bit..even playing 4k video at 2x speed and even 4k 60 at 2x speed i think toooo

Associate
+1 for upgrade with SSD

I use an i7 MacBook Pro (2011) and installed a replacement SATA SSD which made a world of difference for all things. Inexpensive upgrade and benefits all round.

I record guitar using Reaper DAW (free, fully functioning trial available) and EzMix/EZDrummer plugins and often end up with a dozen tracks running without issue. As mentioned above, all depends on size of session, no of plugins, etc. SSD helps with latency on getting those wav forms recorded / played back.

Associate
Ram should be the biggest factor and ye..cpu clock speed...
The ssd speed is just opening apps and booting the beast..

From there? Its all cache and processing
So ram/cpu

Haaaawever me running 8gb ram & a fury x which has 4gb... ye i get some stutter buttttt.. i have multiple ssds where i got caches split between them sooo

U gonna have to do some tweeking on that....
Go to a mac forum

Associate
Wat ssd u gonna get..dont worry about benchmarks.. they have fake inflated numbers from their ddr3/ddr4l ram caches....
They mostly the same speed... go for higher durability n warrenty

Back
Top Bottom