Recovering data from a wet drive

Associate
A friend of mine has had his house flooded (mains water) and his laptop was in its bag on the floor.

He has asked me to try and recover his photos from the drive. Unfortunately no backups!

He said when he got it out of the bag he poured water out of the laptop!

My plan is to put the drive into a bag with some rice to draw as much moisture out as possible and then try and recover using a usb caddie.

Does anyone have further suggestions?

Soldato
Airing cupboard or somewhere warm will help evaporate the water that will have got inside of it. It might take more than a week to completely dry because the hard drive could hold a lot of water.

Associate
Get those small moisture absorber packets you find in food/boxes/etc .... put those in a bag with the laptop tied/sealed for a few days .... then restock with more moisture absorption packets until done.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the tips.

I have put the drive in a bag of rice and it is sitting on a warm radiator.

To be honest when I took it apart it all appears to be dry. No moisture so maybe its dried out already.

I should have probably used some silica gel packs but they don't have those in the supermarket to my knowledge.

Associate
OP
I have got the laptop open but it seems dry already. I don't have a seal-able bag to fit it in with rice so it will just have to stand.

Not too worried about the laptop just the data. I believe the laptop is covered under the insurance but will have to be sent away to be PAT tested.

My friend was worried that it would be sent away and he would loose all his family photos.

Would the drive be damaged if I tried powering it up in the laptop or is it safer to try it in my desktop rig to recover the data?

Soldato
Hard drives are sealed from air, (just one incredibly tiny filtered breather hole) so it should actually be ok. I would still leave it at least a week in a warm place (not anything over 40 degrees C though) with moisture absorbing something.

Associate
The drive's probably dead.

Even ff the water didn't cause the drive to electrically short, then the residual impurities left from the water would be left on the disk.

Leave it to dry over a prolonged period in an airing cupboard for your best chances - but I don't fancy your chances.

Soldato
Unscrew the PCB from the drive, so it can also dry out properly too.

Myself, I'd stick it somewhere quite warm (but not a radiator) with plenty air going round it.

Soldato
Just put in in one of your desktop drivebays, it'll be warmer than ambient and have a decent amount of airflow. Plus there's no chance of you damaging it by knocking it off a radiator or whatever...

Caporegime
I'd not write it off, even if after a week of drying it doesn't power on.

You could always get hold of the same model, and transplant the platters, obviously you'l have to do this with anti-static and anti-dust gloves, and if possible in an area with minimal dust intrusion itself (datacenters are good for this, obviously not everyone has access to a datacenter). Even if the platters have some residue on them a good bathe in isopropyl alcohol (non agitaged - do not rub the platters) should rid most of that.

I've recovered data from some pretty mangled drives before.

Associate
Chances are that the drive itself is fine, its sealed from dust so water will have difficulty getting in. Also it was inside a laptop, protected from any sort of friction/current that might wear down the seals. Its the PCB hard drive controller that will most likely be damaged. Dry it out for a week and then pop the drive into a USB caddy or a spare SATA slot in your main desktop.

Soldato
Chances are that the drive itself is fine, its sealed from dust so water will have difficulty getting in. Also it was inside a laptop, protected from any sort of friction/current that might wear down the seals. Its the PCB hard drive controller that will most likely be damaged. Dry it out for a week and then pop the drive into a USB caddy or a spare SATA slot in your main desktop.

Most hard drives have a breather hole.

Back
Top Bottom