Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4, Xbox and PC Hopefully)

Soldato
I tried the PS4 version last night on a pro and tbh it looked pretty much the same as my XBX version tbh. Did not see all this blur being talked about and HDR was ok. Both running on my LG OLED tv. The Pro did sound like a jet engine though so will be stripping it down and cleaning re-pasting that later today. It made mine sound quite which tbh is insane.

Caporegime
How HDR looks can depend on the T.V some implement it better than others.

We both have 2017 LG OLEDs.

Other games HDR looks FAR better than this.

PS 4/pro definitely needs a patch to sort it out as SDR looks far better atm :/

Been very impressed with my PS 4 pro for quietness, was expecting it to be far louder. I read somewhere that the pro which came with rdr 2 is a newer improved revision though and people have been saying it is quieter than previous model versions???

EDIT:

Seeing people reporting the exact same with the xb1x too regarding HDR i.e.

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadred...is_something_wrong_with_the_hdr_in_this_game/

Last edited:
Soldato
HDR is working perfect for me it looks stunning ? No problem with colours or saturation. I set the in game setting to 300 as it recommended for OLED TVs. I’m using a 2016 B6 OLED.....

Soldato
That you should have got the X1X?

How I am feeling anyway, PS4 does this game no justice. Can't wait until tomorrow when I go and buy the X1, to play this game how it should be played. It does not look good on the PS4 at all, stopped playing until tomorrow.

Lol what a drama queen you are! Responding to someone saying they think their PS4 looks amazing by saying it looks shocking and you’re buying an X1X instead seems like you’re craving attention. I’m playing on an Xbox One S at 720p and it looks bloody stunning, so I think you’re just blowing smoke to be honest! But I’m sure MS won’t argue with you dropping £400 on their console. Seems rather silly to me though.

Anyway, I had a few hours on it last night. Did the linear intro bit but took my time with quite a lot of it. I’m just at camp now and doing stuff around there. I can’t play until this evening. I also started the game and then before I stopped last night, I put in the code for the survival kit and the horse from the pre-order, but I don’t know where to find them now. I can’t see anything obvious in my pack for the survival kit. Should this have been added before I started the game?

Associate
I also started the game and then before I stopped last night, I put in the code for the survival kit and the horse from the pre-order, but I don’t know where to find them now. I can’t see anything obvious in my pack for the survival kit. Should this have been added before I started the game?

Same here, played through a bit..got to the first "camp" then quit the game, put the code in and got back in game.
Nothing added that I can see, still the same horse but I am thinking maybe you will get one once the snow part is done?

Soldato
Anyone playing on a standard PS4, looking to pick one up next week for this game, wondering how it is?

Amazing.

Found my first dumb moment of the game. Playing a mission (I'll be vague so no spoilers) and fought another gang, killed about 15+ people. Mission finished walked into the gangs hut and opened a draw to take their stuff and all of a sudden I was wanted for stealing :p

Doesn't matter you kill 15 people but steal a dead guys can of chow and the law is furious :p

Caporegime
Lol what a drama queen you are! Responding to someone saying they think their PS4 looks amazing by saying it looks shocking and you’re buying an X1X instead seems like you’re craving attention. I’m playing on an Xbox One S at 720p and it looks bloody stunning, so I think you’re just blowing smoke to be honest! But I’m sure MS won’t argue with you dropping £400 on their console. Seems rather silly to me though.

Anyway, I had a few hours on it last night. Did the linear intro bit but took my time with quite a lot of it. I’m just at camp now and doing stuff around there. I can’t play until this evening. I also started the game and then before I stopped last night, I put in the code for the survival kit and the horse from the pre-order, but I don’t know where to find them now. I can’t see anything obvious in my pack for the survival kit. Should this have been added before I started the game?

Same here, played through a bit..got to the first "camp" then quit the game, put the code in and got back in game.
Nothing added that I can see, still the same horse but I am thinking maybe you will get one once the snow part is done?

Keep playing, there's a quest at the second camp (one of the first quests here) that unlocks a stable, you get the horse from there. The Survival kit is just consumables, food, medicine etc, it gets added to your satchel without telling you

Associate
Need to pick this up but need to start horizon zero dawn and would like the new Spiderman game as well.

I'd get HZD and Frozen wildlands if they are on sale for £15 - if not wait until they are again, it's on a bi monthly sale cycle most of the time so it's pointless paying full price now. Definitely wait for Spiderman to go on sale, probably in the Christmas sale because it is not worth full price imo. It's around 25 hours in total (took me 28 hours to platinum it on the 'hardest' difficulty) and the DLC has clearly been cut from the main game just before release and takes less than 2 hours to complete 100%.

Red Dead is definitely worth it, I got the ultimate edition on the XB1X for £89.99 and if it's a 150+ hour game then that's £1.50 and hour for entertainment which you can't get many other places as a 33 year old ;)

Edit: just seen you have HZD, finish the game first and then decide if you want to do more of the same in frozen wildlands. I'm sure you'll enjoy it enough to continue like i did

Soldato
Anyone playing on a standard PS4, looking to pick one up next week for this game, wondering how it is?

I gave in and bought last night.....not played yet as waiting until I'm home tonight then can spend all tonight/tomorrow locked in my flat playing it :D
From what i read it's still amazing, just less resolution than pro/x, but still better than standard XB1....don't think you'll be missing out on much compared to pro/x, especially once you get in to it and not looking for problems/differences

Soldato
The game looks great on PS4.

The problem with most of the graphical comparisons is they set Xbox One X as the benchmark and then discuss the ways in which all other versions are inferior. It gives the impression that the game looks bad on Xbox One and PS4 (and, to an extent, PS4 Pro). It doesn't. Whatever platform you buy RDR2 for, it will be one of the best looking games you can buy for that platform.

Been tempted by an Xbox One X lately though. The bundles have been phenomenal value. Get a decent deal and it works out cheaper than a PS4 Pro, and not much more expensive than a regular PS4.

Last edited:
Associate
Just on the HDR, I have a curved Samsung KS9000 65 inch. Just turned the HDR+ off on the TV input for the connection the XB1X is in and it massively improves the colour of the game. With the HDR+ on it feels a little more 'washed out' but kinda fits this game as a Western. Game mode feels to bright and if I'd had it on for Chapter one I'd have gone snow blind I think.

Back
Top Bottom