Red Hot Chilli Peppers accused of plagiarism

Permabanned
Goatboy said:
How many have there been then?

I only know of two which is only one more than the Mamas and the Papas did.

Quite a few, two have california in the title alone.

I heard Kerrang say the same thing the other day. :p

"Rated at Kerrang, it's new from the Chilli's.. and yes.. it's another song about bloody California."

Man of Honour
1 - I can't stand RHCP, probably the most overrated band in the world.

2 - I don't believe for one second they ripped Tom Petty off. The chances they even heard the Tom Petty record are remote. It is very hard to write something new and an A G D chord progression has been done a million times and is one of the most simplest rock n roll progressions.

Soldato
I dont understand why they would rip someone off? Its not as though they need to. If they did rip him off surely they would know that someone might realise.

+44

Soldato
dmpoole said:
I doubt that anybody had heard the Tom Petty version on these forums including me and I have most of his albums.
Most people heard Sweet Home Alabama in it.

They do sound rather similar! But just posting this as I've heard Mary Jane's Last Dance, and not the RHCP song. It's on a Tom Petty Best Of that I have..!

Haven't heard a lot of Tom Petty, but there's only three songs of his I consider really great - American Girl, Refugee and to a lesser extent Something In The Air. Are there any albums you can recommend listening to?

Back
Top Bottom