Red light camera

Soldato
A bit annoyed at my wife. Came home this afternoon all bummed out, asked why she said she said she went over a red and the junction definitely has a camera i know. She said she was following a car that went over the amber at around 38mph (so about 36mph really, digital speedo countryman) in a 40 and it went red just as she met the line. Both me and her know that light changes from amber to red fast i've even pointed it out to her in the past. A10 Enfield, church street junction.
It was about 5:45pm and she said no flash was seen but it was bright out and i sure as hell have seen people run that red after a second or two with no flash. She knows she did wrong and needs to pay attention more and i drove the point home that she could've had our daughter in the back and god knows what could have happened. Any chance she might've gotten off, is there a delay?

Soldato
have you looked on line to see if there are any timing problems submitted about the traffic lights, or submitted an issue, if you think they're fast.
I'd complained about some on 40mph a10 n of cambridge, where there was also trees overshadowing them.

it seems daft lights don't have longer switch times on higher speed roads.

Soldato
I thought I'd read that traffic light cameras don't arm immediately as the light goes red. Probably more aimed at people who could easily stop in time, but just can't be bothered.

I've definitely been at a set of lights and seen someone go across just as it changed to red without the camera flashing.

Associate
My understanding is that there is a delay that can be set on the camera between the light turning red and the camera going for it. There isn;t a standard delay, its a config that is set for each installation

Associate
It's a real pain getting a red light ticket, £100 fine and 3 points, worse when you come to insurance, I got done quite a few years ago and found a lot of insurers wouldn't even quote me on the comparison sites, even then the insurance cost increased quite a bit.

Soldato
you're supposed to be slowing to a stop not trying to beat the change.

Let's face it, this is probably what happened. I see it 62578265 times a day.

IIRC UK regs state that the single amber light must be illuminated for 3 seconds. So she's had 3 seconds to react to an amber light at 36 mph - which is very easily do able unless you're just trying to rush through with the car in front.

Soldato
Let's face it, this is probably what happened. I see it 62578265 times a day.

IIRC UK regs state that the single amber light must be illuminated for 3 seconds. So she's had 3 seconds to react to an amber light at 36 mph - which is very easily do able unless you're just trying to rush through with the car in front.

I also see people deliberately running red when they have plenty of time and space to stop 62678265 times a day :p

Obviously that's lights without a camera

Back
Top Bottom