Reformatting mac hardrive?

Associate
I posted this in the hardware forum but guess it may be more suited here:
I don't know whether any of you will remember but I managed to buy a used Mac for £50 a week ago. Knowing absolutely nothing about Macs, I was advised that the hard drive needed reformating and that the discs weren't with the machine. Does anyone know firstly how I reformat and secondly where I get the discs from to reformat?

Thanks

Soldato
I recently formatted my drive and reinstalled Snow Leopard with the help of some people on this forum :)

I just inserted the SL CD and reboot my mac. I then held down the C button which allows you to boot from the CD. Then I used Disk Utility to perform a "zero'd" format of the hard drive and then went on to install the OS from there.

You'll need a copy of the OS to reinstall though - So that'll mean you buying a copy.

Associate
Snow Leopard might still be available from Apple Stores until Lion is available in physical format. I've not been down to one recently.

Can your Mac take Snow Leopard do you know? It needs to have an Intel chip.

Associate
OP
Snow Leopard might still be available from Apple Stores until Lion is available in physical format. I've not been down to one recently.

Can your Mac take Snow Leopard do you know? It needs to have an Intel chip.

It has an intel core due processor, so I would take it that means yes?

Is it just a case of buying the latest operating system and then I can use this to wipe everything effectively?

Last edited:
Soldato
It has an intel core due processor, so I would take it that means yes?

Is it just a case of buying the latest operating system and then I can use this to wipe everything effectively?

More or less, if its the old core processors lion doesnt support it :( so you'll just need a copy of snow leopard instead, which was £25 quid when I got the disc...

From that you can use the disk utility in the installer to format your drive and start over :)

Associate
I wanted a clean install after upgrading to Lion, I went in to disk management, formatted the drive then recovered Lion in which it downloaded from Apple which took for ever then installed but it retained all my files and settings. Not sure now but would like to know

Soldato
hi
my macbook pro 2010, is just closing downing (crashing) every other day now
i have the discs from when i bought it
thinking a format and clean install is best

how do i keep all my information?
i use an SSD.

Back
Top Bottom