Refusal to buy games because its not on steam

Associate
I don't care. I have games on Uplay (I must be the only person who's never had an issue with it...), Origin, Steam, GOG, and Battle.net. Most of my games are on Steam (Humble Bundle, sales, etc.) but I won't refuse to buy a game if it's not on a certain platform. I actually prefer to buy my games on GOG where possible these days because the games are DRM-free and often cheaper due to their fair price guarantee. The fact that Steam sales have been crap for the last few years hasn't helped.

I really can't understand the love affair with Steam though. Valve screw up and everyone seems to brush it off... As others have pointed out, a lot of games you refuse to buy on other platforms will open their own launchers anyway.

Man of Honour
I'd prefer it on STEAM but really, uPlay and Origin are fine just to play those exclusive games. I have the clients to not load at startup so only when I want to play those games. STEAM remains resident.

Caporegime
As long as Uplay games give you a real and full version of the game with everything you expect out of a PC game I have no problem with it. I don't see Uplay as any less bad or any better than Steam. People are used to Steam and now act like all the issues with it don't matter but only effect other platforms. Uplay means you have to log in and have a client running, so does Steam, it throws lots of useless information at me I don't need, so does Steam.

Win 10 store needs a boycott by everyone because they are removing basic pc gaming features. Uplay could be better but it's hardly cancer inducing levels of awfulness.

I buy a game, I add a code, it installs... I play it. Same sequence of events as steam or any other platform. The important part is the games work properly as in the game works the same through Uplay as if you started it from Steam or from that old crazy method of having a disc and installing it as a stand alone program. That is where win 10 store fails, it's giving you a different experience as you play.

When Uplay or Origin start making my games work differently, that is when I'll have a problem with them.

Associate
I can understand some ppl wanting their entire games catalogue under one app for convenience, but think on this - do you really want to give one company the entire monopoly on games?....

Caporegime
I can understand some ppl wanting their entire games catalogue under one app for convenience, but think on this - do you really want to give one company the entire monopoly on games?....

Every game being available on Steam wouldn't really cause a monopoly. The publisher/developers still make the games, without them there's no games to sell. Publisher sets price etc.

Although I'm all for distribution monopolies etc.

I want singular places for a purpose, but that's just me.

Man of Honour

Nope, that's where other people can spend where they want. Also steam accepts codes, so it's not like we are only buyig from steam.

I'll keep my games under one roof.

Soldato
I will always get a game on steam if I can. Not only for the convenience of having them all in one place but all the other stuff that steam has. I paid £40 for the steam version of GTA V and I am really glad I did as I have seen as the crap that RSSC players have to deal with when it comes to download speeds, updates and corrupted game files.

I got Witcher 3 on GoG and even though it is DRM free it was still a nightmare. Downloading the game via the downloader gave me corrupt files, downloading via the website timed out and GoG galaxy was flat out broken. It once patched my game twice corrupting the whole thing and the "scan for errors" thing flat out didn't work. Not to mention that it offered nothing but incredibly basic chat, no overlay and required manual log ins everytime. It put me off the game. As soon as Witcher 3 went on sale on steam for £35 I bought it a 2nd time and played through the entire thing taking over 120 hours!

Origin I am fine with. It's been perfect throughout my time with BF3, crysis 3 and titanfall whilst being blameless throughout the catastrophic trainwreck of BF4.

uPlay I have only needed for the steam version of FC Blood Dragon and it has been very much set it and forget it.

Soldato
I hate that there are exclusive games, its bad enough on the consoles. Its not even like they are exclusive to try and sell more consoles, so they would still be getting money if you bought it on steam. Also hate buying a game on Steam and then having to use uplay as well to play it. Must have messed around for days trying to get Black flag working only to find that it comes bundled with an older version of uplay so wouldn't play because of that.

I like to get achievements as well, so that is another negative.

Caporegime
I can't remember the last Valve game I bought. Yet almost all my games are purchased through Steam.

And the ones that arent get added as Non Steam Shortcuts anyway, so it looks like they are :p.

Soldato
It's nice to have everything in one place and I do like Steam a whole lot, but I definitely dont shy away from buying something elsewhere if I need to. I think Steam's monopoly is a bit scary, honestly. Or rather, not their monopoly, but the userbase's insistence on keeping it that way.

I also think anybody who avoids buying a game they are interested in because it's not on Steam has completely lost sight of why they play games in the first place.

Sem

Sem

Soldato
I prefer to buy on Steam but I'm not too bothered about buying from Origin and uPlay if it's not available on Steam or significantly cheaper.

GOG is also a favourite of mine, I like their business practices.

im the same Steam is always my prefered my platform except for ubi games

but dont mind origin or uplay as the clients have impoved massivly over the years

kind of annoyed blizzard now have their only launcher and future MS games will have to go through the windows store

all so bloody annoying but meh thats how things are now not much we can do about it

also if you got Far cry primal on steam would still need to launch uplay so maybe your better off getting from uplay direct

Soldato
I go for whatever has the game I want. To be honest Origin is actually decent and so is GOG while Uplay does the job fine. Obviously steam is my main account but meh don't mind there being competition.

Associate
There are too many distribution platforms , have to agree with the OP on this one for Farcry.

Origin bugs me with pop up adverts and expensive pricing - recently Plants v Zombies keeps on popping up and Uplay have never been keen on that either.

Although both distribution clients offer some good titles, Steam will always be my preferred choice. Will have to remember to remove the other 2 clients from my start-up..In fact no time like the present. :)

Soldato
This attitude baffles me especially since Steam has more bloatware than the others and of late has more downtime than the others.

That said non of them are intrusive and they're only ever ran to play the game then closed after.

I'll never understand the monopoly most want Steam to have. Uncompetitive prices and by far the worst customer service of any company I've ever used and seemingly a common issue amongst many.

Give me a standalone game any day.

Associate
I've always bought games on Steam ahead of other digital distribution platforms, even if they were slightly cheaper elsewhere, because I like having my PC library in one place and because I mostly buy my games on sale anyway when the prices are exceptionally low.

Soldato
There are too many distribution platforms
'Competition is good' seems to have strict limits when it comes to non-Steam platforms.

Origin bugs me with pop up adverts and expensive pricing - recently Plants v Zombies keeps on popping up and Uplay have never been keen on that either.
Never gotten a single notification from either of these anywhere. :/

Unless you're talking about the ads that pop up on startup, which Steam has as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom