Refusal to buy games because its not on steam

Soldato
I don't care what platform its on, they are all the same to me. I also cant understand this obsession that 'it has to be on steam' it seems odd. :confused:

I remember the days of manually patching games, installing from disc, creating separate friend lists etc... these clients do away with all that so make life a hell of lot easier. Steam, Origin, UPlay, GOG all do this so are fine with me. I am also fairly happy that Steam no longer has the monopoly as that's never a good thing.

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah all my non-steam games are added to steam as non-steam games.

Takes about 3 clicks and you get all of the functionality of the steam overlay, sure uPlay is a bit dodgy but never had issues with origin, and all my games with their own launchers work when added to steam.

Sure I get people would rather have games all in one place, but when I can still click one link to play non steam games through steam it kind of negates the argument.

Soldato
Game downloads from uplay and to a uplay account either way. Basically clicking play in steam will open the uplay client which in turn will launch the game.

You're wrong.

I bought Far Cry 3 on Steam a couple of months back and it downloaded to Steam and all the game files automatically installed to my Steam folder. Yes, it opens Uplay when I start the game from within Steam but that's only so it can use the Uplay client to record the achievements gained in the game.

Soldato
No I don't throw my toys out my pram and miss a solid game just because it isn't on a particular client.

Uplay is fine, Origin is fine, I've never had a problem with either for years. I am happy to have games on any of these platforms. Especially when a Steam game then loads up Uplay too! I don't want steam to be the only viable client to purchase and download games.

Soldato
It doesn't. Not that that makes a lot of difference.

I have no problem with any of them. I use steam,origin, uplay and gog and buy the game wherever. I used to favor steam heavily (got really annoyed when i had Assassins creed I & II on steam and ended up buying Revelations or Brotherhood, whichever came first, on uplay by mistake) but nah, not any more. I do launch everything through steam if i can, though, to try and keep everything consistent. It means I get proper profiles for the steam controller as well.

Caporegime
I think the point he was making is that when you install the game it installs uplay and when it runs it launches uplay, even if you buy and launch from steam, it still requires uplay

Well I know all that lol.
Although it makes little difference, it's more or less like an add on I can just forget about. I'd still take the game on Steam, and won't buy anything from Uplay.

So far I've not missed out on anything sticking to Steam/Origin.
It's only looking like Windows Store will make me miss out, but I can always buy them on Xbox One (But Windows Store has genuine valid issues)

Soldato
I'm not bothered anymore. I used to only use Steam as I just wanted all my games in one library but with games 'forcing' me into using other clients, like Origin and uPlay, it has taken away any trepidation I had. These days I'm quite happy to have GOG Galaxy, Steam, Battle.net, Origin and uPlay on my system. Only Steam and Battle.net are constantly kept open though as I use the social features of those two. The others are closed when I close the game I used them for.

I don't have any problems or dislike the other non-Steam clients I use. Having said that, I'm not installing any others; five clients is enough and if the game isn't on one of those I just won't buy it.

Soldato
I don't care, which ever is cheapest. Steam, Uplay, GOG, Origin, retail. As long as I buy the game.

Many PC gamers are so attached to the Steam, trapped like the people in the Apple Ecosystem with iPhones.

"Don't want to buy X game because its the Windows Store!!! Not going to buy it because its not on Steam!!!Steams the best!!!Everything else is terrible!!!" :rolleyes:

Obviously those people wasn't around during the Half-Life 2 release date.

Underboss
Couldn't care less, Steam are ok but so are the rest. uPlay has actually improved itself in my opinion.

I find the idea that you would not play a game due to it not being a Steam Key very silly.

Back
Top Bottom