1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

Regular Vs. Vapor-X

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Fledge, 18 Feb 2010.

1. Fledge

Hitman

Put simply, is the extra £30 on the 5870 worth this cooling system?
    It's overclocked already, but with Vapor-X, will it overclock a lot more than a regular 5870 would?
    Any info is appreciated, thanks.

2. woolerland

PermaBanned

welll if your idiot yes....

3. cainer

Man of Honour

yes, cooler quieter than stock

4. Owenb

Wise Guy

The main advantage is that it's quieter. Cooling probably won't help OC'ing as it will probably be limited by voltage, not heat.

5. ngsavfc

Associate

where Sapphire have been clever with the Vapor-x is the fan speed - I`ve checked with different bioses & the Vapor-x increases the fan speed at much lower temps (on my rev.1) - getting to about 45% , giving the impression of being a much cooler card. With the Asus bios on my Vapor-x it stays on around 25% at about 60° iirc. A permanent speed of about 36% is absolutely silent & controls temps np I`ve found.:)

6. feeddagoat

Gangster

tbh sapphire stock coolers could use a fan speed boost. My HD4870 died twice on me from overheating before finally getting the cooler replaced. Even had a fan blowing onto the side of it.

7. Strawberry

Hitman

Sapphire stock coolers are definitely awful.

I actually managed to overheat my graphics card before my waterblock arrived, thankfully got it replaced though.

Loud as heck as well. (At least the 4870 was, the 4890 wasn't that loud but when under load it was still quite disturbing)

If you don't want to replace the cooler I say go for the Vapor-X.

8. tundra

Gangster

£30 for it to be cooler/quieter and you get extra software in the box

9. altich88

Gangster

I say it's worth it, nice and quiet.

10. Scooby123

Associate

got 2 of these running in xf and would say its worth it pay the extra for cooler and quieter cards and normaly their not that much extra. and for oc you not get that much more anyway and you not tell that much in games because it run every game fine anyway. :)

11. fizzle-187

Wise Guy

I just ordered a 5770 Vapor X.

Hopefully it will be good!

12. R34pz

Gangster

I have a 5770 VX in my machine, it is definately completely silent, even when it's under heavy loads. It seems to overclock really well, and sits idle at 34deg, max in games 60.
    In the other pc there's an Asus with the egg cooler, believe it or not it runs even cooler (28 idle, 50 in games), is completely silent also, but won't overclock as well and doesn't look as nice (the VX has a nice blue LED logo). Overall I would say they are pretty much the same, but the vapor-x is nicer if you have a transparent side panel. Either way they are brilliant cards with awesome performance, and imho well worth the money :)

13. Fledge

Hitman

Does someone with a VX-5870 want to go ahead and put its fanspeed up to 100% and tell me how it sounds then? :)

14. SiriusB

Capodecina

Give me a minute :D

15. SiriusB

Capodecina

Damn, at 100% that was loud. However, it is no louder than my GTX260 at only 50 or 60%. So that suggests the V-X is very good, or the fan on my GTX is really bad! :p

EDIT: At 60-70% it is noticeable, but if you were wearing headphones or had your volume up you probably wouldn't care. 50-60% I couldn't hear it over the desk fan behind me. <50% it might as well be silent as I couldn't hear it over the sound of the other fans in my case.

16. Strawberry

Hitman

You have to also consider that a Vapor-X at 50% keeps the card a lot cooler than a stock fan at 50%, so the Vapor-X might not even hit that high during gaming.

17. SiriusB

Capodecina

I have yet to see my card hit 50% in gaming. Though I haven't had a decent-length gaming session on it yet. Hoping RF: Guerilla will actually be good since I am now downloading it on Steam. Every game I have tried last few days I have switched off after 10 minutes cos it were crap! :p

If RF: G is any good it will hopefully stretch the 5870s legs a bit.

18. Strawberry

Hitman

You can try running Furmark in Extreme GPU Burning mode for a while and telling us what fan speed and temps you get.

19. R34pz

Gangster

Mine sits at 40% pretty much permanently. The only time i've seen it go up to 50% is when running furmark (reaches 50% fan @ 73deg max). However even at 50% it's only just audible, you really don't have to worry about volume or heat with these, they are perfect for HTPC.

20. Strawberry

Hitman

Is that stock or overclocked?
    I would be interested to see some overclocked results.

Right now I have my card running at 870 -> 955 MHz and furmark in extreme burning mode barely scrapes 50°C-55°C.