• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Regular Vs. Vapor-X

Soldato
OK I ran Furmark in Xtreme Burn Mode in a 1280x1024 Window. I set MSAA to x8 but only showed up at x4 in the Furmark stats in the graphic window *shrug*

The two screenshots below are after about 6 minutes

The Furmark stats
furmark1_vx_fantest.png

GPU-Z

gpuz_vx_fantest.png

I ran Furmark for another 4 or 5 minutes after these screen shots were taken and the temp never went over 78C and the fan stayed at 41%. As you can see from GPU-Z I was running at 900/1300. The ambient room temperature is a touch warm, but that could just be me! [I am a bit of a polar bear, don't like the heat :p]

This is very good since the Vapour-X fan as I have previously said doesn't get noticeable for me until 50%+.

Associate
Whose idiot? :o

You're mums, obviously :p

And I have a 4870 Toxic Vapor X, and I've been very impressed with it since I bought it. At stock volts it can get a bit noisy, but when I undervolt the card to 1.75v stock, it knocks 5-10% off the fan speed, and I can barely hear it most of the time :)
Doesn't overclock well for some reason though >_<

Soldato
Interesting comparisson of the 5770 vapor x and v2 cooler.

http://www.overclock.net/ati/651602-contagion-review-sapphire-vapor-x-radeon.html

"I was not expecting these results at all. I was under the impression the Vapor-X is almightly but, it really isn't. I did notice that the Vapor-X excelled at the 100% fan speed tests. On a note, the V2 is QUIETER than the Vapor-X.
With these results, I say that you are probably better off just getting a V2."

Associate
That's at stock Strawberry, although if I clock it to 960/1400 it only gets a couple of degrees higher. The fan still never goes over 50%. I agree with JeffyB however, the V2 cooler on the mrs' pc is cooler, and doesn't seem any louder because it never goes over 42%, and maxes out at 70cdeg. The only real difference that I can tell is that the vapor-x is a better overclocker than the Asus, which itself is a good clocker reaching 950/1350.

Last edited:
Associate
Play nice all.

From reviews I have heard it isn't that much to write home about- given the card runs cool and quiet when not being hammered, and that when it is being hammered you are either benchmarking so wont mind, or playing games either with headphones on or a lot of sound effects, I would think twice before buying.

Having said that long term I can see dust becoming an issue with the stock- maybe not so much, or more easily cleanable with the vapor X. If you don't care about noise then buy a delta for a side intake. That oughtta take care of the heat. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom