Regy53's Track supercharged Clio

Soldato
Thought i would post a build thread for here :)

Hi All

Bought this in october, i come from a long line of performance cars but never really a track specific car for many years (2007) I have owned some very high performance cars in my time usually with a supercharger that they shouldn't have (rs4 supercharged, e46 m3 supercharged, mg zs supercharged) most recently i had a rs4 supercharged (620 bhp) but it just wasn't fun these are second / third cars to me so rarely used.

I wanted something that i could take to track and have a good crack with it, a friend had a clio 200 and i nearly bought it but knew after reading clio 197 that i would want more power very quickly. I saw this car and Pm'd the owner about some details, it turns out it was perhaps possible to buy and the rest is a big hole in the bank...

I could have bought much more sorted cars (r26 turbo conversion cars) for less money, and to be honest maybe a fool and his money and all, but i just didn't want to ruin the chassis and drive that Renault had created with the clio, high reving fairly low torque engine makes for a good track car, the turbo conversions are all great but i just dont buy into the sound and while it may be faster its not always about every last tenth

A bit of this is stolen from the previous owners thread but here she is and spec

• Rotrex c30-94 supercharger
    • Custom intercooler + pipework
    • Rotrex supercharger oil cooler
    • Forge dump valve
    • Mocal oil catch tank
    • KTR engine mounts + steady bar
    • White silicone coolant pipes
    • ARP rod bolts
    • 630cc injectors
    • Quaife differential
    • KTR light weight flywheel
    • 4 paddle helix clutch + pressure plate
    • Gearbox rebuilt with uprated (new variant) syncros
    • Alcon front brake conversion
    • pagid rs19 front pads
    • Megane r26r rear discs
    • Pagid rs2 rear pads
    • AP 5.1 brake fluid
    • Braided brake lines
    • Gaz gold coilovers/ adjustable front + rear damping with race weight springs
    • Gaz adjustable top mounts
    • Rear camber shims
    • Full 4 wheel geometry set up
    • KTR adjustable carbon front strut brace
    • Full Mark fish motorsport roll cage (safety devices bolt in)
    • Sparco 4 point harnesses
    • Sparco steering wheel
    • Sparco Circuit 2 seats (previously
    • KTR pro performance exhaust
    • Toyosport manifold
    • KTR decat pipe
    • KTR delete pipe
    • OZ ultraleggera wheels 17x8 black carbon dipped with NS2R's (soon to be rainsports 3's)
    • OZ ultralagerras wheels 17x8 Matt black with R888R
    • PMS Stud + nut conversion kit
    • Carbon exhaust trims
    • Carbon front splitter
    • Black badges ( sorry @LOCKE )
    • Sabelt tow strap
    • Custom "supercharged" badge on rear
    • Classic / Dynamique rear spoiler
    • De-wipered rear window
    • RS alloy gear knob with leather gator
    • Custom made dash/a-pillar gauge pods
    • AEM boost, AFR, oil temp, oil pressure gauges
    • Alpine head unit (removed just now)
    • Alpine front door speakers
    • Alpine amplifier (removed just now)
    • Rear interior stripped
    • KTR rear carpet
    • Lifeline plumbed in electric fire extinguisher system (discrete install)
Charger kit installed by Jamsport, Mapped and finished by RS Tuning running 315bhp & 230lb

Since i have owned it i had to install a higher seat mount as i am a short ass, fitted a new manifold due to old one blowing and dont not much else (it didn't need it)

One thing with this car is, its hard to show how clean it really is. Its immaculate and a credit to the former keepers

I have taken it to Bedford and had a good crack with a v12 Ferrari allbeit on road tyres (he was behind) it really is a well sorted motor that is hard to think what you could have more fun it. I found along the huge back straight when i reached for 6th i needed more power for now this thing is unreal

it throws a flame every gearchange

PR_171113_MSVT_BA_0326 by Ross c, on Flickr
PR_171113_MSVT_BA_1337 by Ross c, on Flickr
PR_171113_MSVT_BA_1725 by Ross c, on Flickr
img_8209-jpg by Ross c, on Flickr
img_8205-jpg by Ross c, on Flickr
F4434274-C453-4936-AD44-FD99775A9E67 by Ross c, on Flickr
IMG_5711 by Ross c, on Flickr
IMG_5739 by Ross c, on Flickr
IMG_6257 by Ross c, on Flickr
IMG_6270 by Ross c, on Flickr
IMG_8105 by Ross c, on Flickr

upload_2017-9-17_17-1-29 by Ross c, on Flickr

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys

It’s not road legal anymore and is a dedicated track car so the chances are I will be looking to lose a bit more weight from it as it’s sill a heavy girl I would imagine 40 kg is fairly easy

I am at brands hatch tommorow expecting to fail noise but we will see

Soldato
OP
It is road legal I just havnt got it taxed or mot’d or insured

Basically I trailer it to track days very litttle chance of me using it on the road

It would pass a mot though so long as I put cats back in

Soldato
OP
Was black flagged at brands but had a great half hour in the damp, as the dry lines started to appear you could push a bit more although i had never done the track i was driving very tame

Spent the afternoon giving it a clean, Probably been on track 2 hours since i have had it and towing it behind my range rover yesterday in the mist caused a lot of filth down the sides and on the front. Wish i had a enclosed trailer

Took the wheels of and gave each arch a good wash, wheels inside and out and gave the outside a clean and wax. You can see in the winter i cant take the car any further than the concrete in my yard, its just grim.

I must say this is the cleanest car i have ever owned a credit to the former keepers, there are some tar spots i should have removed first but i didn't have time. Not sure if i will do another track day before the new year so will be put away for now. I need to look through the receipts work out what oil has been used in the past also what pads to buy so i have spares.

Untitled by Ross c, on Flickr

Soldato
Great combo, I've got a Clio 200 Cup and a Rotrex supercharger. Except my charger is in my MX5..

Totally agree with your love of superchargers though. For me they keep the character of a car but it's like you've got another litre of engine capacity.

Soldato
OP
Is it really that loud?!

It is in its current guise, Ktec have said when there exhaust was released it was fine but now so many are fitting manifolds etc it really changes the noise

Great combo, I've got a Clio 200 Cup and a Rotrex supercharger. Except my charger is in my MX5..

Totally agree with your love of superchargers though. For me they keep the character of a car but it's like you've got another litre of engine capacity.

100% it is such a natural choice without changing the chassis dynamics to much

Looks awesome, quite fancy a 197/200 as a second car.

But... It's not road legal, and you can't drive it on a track due to noise. So apart from towing it around with your range rover what do you do with it?! :p

well i will change the exhaust silencing now, Bedford are known for being strict and brands is a few DB higher, it was worth seeing. Other tracks like Donny are much better but I will make it quieter so i can go to all.

you should get a 197 / 200 there great fun

Here is a video its a bit lame as you really cant see how wet it was or greasy, i was taking it very steady as people kept binning it into the gravel which is somewhere i did not want to go, just finding the grip my first 20 mins at brands ever although the last bend i found tricky there was no grip in any part. I was also not being aggressive with wanting to overtake just taking my time and learning the lines etc You will see somewhere in the video i lost second gear so went to put it into third and turns out it was first, quick thinking solved that..also no idea why but movie maker ruined the quality

Soldato
Went to Bedford on Monday and there must have been 20-30 Renault Clios there, from the Mk1 through to the newest ones, in every variation from standard to full track spec.

The guessing game was knowing which ones were running what!

Two very quick mk1 16v (a light blue and a white one) which must have been turbocharged, and one of the 172/182s had a super or turbo charger but wasn't quite as fast.

As for the exhaust, just get one that is legal everywhere, a trackday costs you a minimum of 200-250 quid before you even turn a wheel, to drive there and then turn around and go home because its too loud would just be silly.

Bedford have cameras which automatically photo you like a GATSO with your noise rating on there. An Evo got sent home for 92db.

It was a good day, but I think the marshal to let people out of the pits could have been a bit better. A short pit lane when you are harnessed in makes it hard to look behind you to see if there are any cars coming, and some people did have a tendency to just pull out, then their mirrors would be full of a car thats coming a lot faster.....

At Cadwell there is a flag man to let you out when it is clear, and Oulton has a better pit exit putting you out on a straight and the cars will be to your left naturally from the previous corner.

Last edited:
Soldato
well i will change the exhaust silencing now, Bedford are known for being strict and brands is a few DB higher, it was worth seeing. Other tracks like Donny are much better but I will make it quieter so i can go to all.

you should get a 197 / 200 there great fun

Mine won't be a fun as yours obviously but I like the idea of a small Chuckable hothatch. I used to have a 306 GTi6 for 8 years but now just have a big boring family wagon (and a motorbike granted), but could do with a second car for the school run and also when it's icey so I can't take my bike.

Figured I might as well get something a bit interesting as it'll only do a few thousand a year. Bike win's everytime for my commute.

Soldato
My Clio 200 is the full fat Cup and I use it as a daily.

TBH, the Cup suspension is a bit much when I have a proper weekend car but the equipment isn't bad for the type of car it is, 6 gears and cruise control make longer journeys easier.

To put the Cup suspension in context though, my other car is an MX5 with Meister R coilovers, it's a much more compliant ride on B roads with the coilovers dialled right down than the Clio.

Back
Top Bottom