Regy53's Track supercharged Clio

Associate
@Regy53 What length did you get your PMS studs?

I'm buying some Oz Ultra's for my Clio 200 soon, and want to get some studs at the same time. Did you get the same length front and rear. I heard of many people using longer on the front as they go into the discs about 5mm deeper. Yours look great!

Soldato
@Regy53 What length did you get your PMS studs?

I'm buying some Oz Ultra's for my Clio 200 soon, and want to get some studs at the same time. Did you get the same length front and rear. I heard of many people using longer on the front as they go into the discs about 5mm deeper. Yours look great!

The guys at PMS are extremely helpful and knowledgable about what they sell, if you give them a ring they'll put you right.

Soldato
OP
So I cant remember why I sold this car but back then I was looking to move house and it just suited.

My friend bought it from me done 6 track days with it since, has abused it a bit but i bought it back yesterday as a bit of a restoration project. It was so very clean before and it needs a bit of a rebuild really. It has stood outside in that time and you can tell. I have just ordered a 4 poster for my workshop at work and this will live there and be my little project along with my engineer who works for my company.

It is still on 42k and it had 42k on when I sold it in 2017

Will document the rebuild and work but

suspension needs a refurb
has a oil leak from the gearbox
timing belt
general untidyness
brakes are not as smart as they were
badges etc faded
seats faded
filthy dirty everywhere
bits removed and missing (dials, exhaust trim)
steering wheel gone hard

going to get it on the ramp next week, get the front bumper off access the gearbox and general condition of it all. I may look to see if we should rebuild the charger as its been on for 6 years, clean everything up a good service.

I may look at doing a engine build for some fun but will see. One things for sure im very pleased to have it back, i love this little car it has a lot of presence

Untitled by Ross c, on Flickr

Caporegime
So all your friend did in this time was rag it senseless and not maintain it, leave it sat outside, and at some point apparently have the lovely satin black wheels hydrodipped with a carbon fibre effect? :p

You need a new friend. :D

Soldato
OP
So all your friend did in this time was rag it senseless and not maintain it, leave it sat outside, and at some point apparently have the lovely satin black wheels hydrodipped with a carbon fibre effect? :p

You need a new friend. :D
Ah it had two sets of rims one was carbon dipped and the others black... I have both :D

Also yes pretty much, a friend with a to much ££ he spent about 7k on it doing bits but it still needs my touch to bring it back to how it was.

I took delivery of a two post ramp last week hopefully installed this coming week for the work to start

Caporegime
Jeez how do you sink 7K into a Clio at all, let alone doing it and ending up with a car that appears to be the same as when he started! :p

Hope its fairly easy to get it minty again. I must say I think the black wheels look much better. :)

Soldato
OP
Jeez how do you sink 7K into a Clio at all, let alone doing it and ending up with a car that appears to be the same as when he started! :p

Hope its fairly easy to get it minty again. I must say I think the black wheels look much better. :)

Messed around with exhausts and brakes and other bits, its quieter now which is good but the charger makes a lot of noise, need to re route the intake if possible.

The reason for the wheel change is the r888’s on the black rims are spent :)

I think i need to sink 1.5-2k into this at the moment the seats being faded really bugs me, likely take them out and sell them and replace with new. They are still in date was also tempted to try and dye them but sounds a right faff

Soldato
OP
So a brief update to this, we installed a 2 poster at work for cars but mainly its for this for now.

It was a little worse than we thought all together and the car has had a big strip down at work.

The underneath was luckily just dirty so not much needed there but anything that can rust has, such as the braided hoses etc, little bits on the refurbed brake calipers, springs, rear calipers were disgusting under the paint.

Sitting under a tree for 3 years is really incredible, the grim is everywhere, So i went to work cleaning it up and pictures will follow this was the strip down

The air filter was ruined, all broken up.

So we set out taking it to bits, mainly wheels off, coilovers off, brakes off, front bumper and rads etc off, all coolant hoses off as they were once white but now covered in just grime.

I will grab a few more pics in the week but so far we have sent of the shocks back to gaz for a refurb, the springs are of to a powder coaters as they were looking tired, new rear calipers and ds2500 rear pads ordered, front caliper parts ordered to get rid of rusty bits, new brake lines ordered..

When I got it my mate said they see it was leaking oil, initially it was thought it was the gearbox but it looks to be coming from the air filter, which was directly mounted to the charger..... So Rotrex chargers can let by if the reservoir is higher than the charger itself. I think because the car has sat forever its been doing this a lot. It suggests the oil seal in the charger is failing. Which cannot be replaced so TTS say

More worryingly though is this,

That is the top of the charger, the ally is breaking up. It has been fitted for 7 years now and looks like it was done up to tight but also the metal is eating the ally, worse is the big crack at the oil inlet union that is likely to fail any time, that my friends is a dead charger really, we cant get it of as the bolts are siezed solid but even if we can we cannot replace this part so its kinda dead I suppose. Since this kit was built many others have followed suit, and in that time some better design mounts have been made which would mean this wont happen. So after some research I actually found somebody who can repair this charger or supply me a rebuilt one for a lot cheaper than a new one (new is 2k) and i have ordered a better mount design with Supreme motorsport. Hopefully a few weeks and we will have this. I will have to modify the pipework to the intercooler but this will be a much better solution, it will mount where the unused air con pully is now.

so parts on order, parts of for refurb and some work to do, next week we will tackle the cam belt, water pump, plugs and oil service.

I was pretty down about it all this week, the more you look at the worse it gets and I didn't pay cheap money for the car, I actually thought I was buying my old car back with 7 k spent on it making improvement's. Once i found the charger rebuild place i felt a bit better

Will grab some other pictures this week, I also took of all the arch liners and had a good clean everywhere with the yard steam cleaner which helped. Its looking a lot brighter already

Associate
I think i need to sink 1.5-2k into this at the moment the seats being faded really bugs me, likely take them out and sell them and replace with new. They are still in date was also tempted to try and dye them but sounds a right faff

Was going to say about dying them, but then actually read your post. Is it more of a faff than paying through the nose to replace them?
I guess you could recoup a fair bit of the cost of replacement by selling yours, but you'll still be out of pocket!

Soldato
I've got a Rotrex charger and AFAIK it's a one and done thing, makes it expensive when they do fail.

Edit: sorry just saw you found someone, who is it? Mine is actually ok as it turns out, but might be worth knowing for the future.

Soldato
OP
Was going to say about dying them, but then actually read your post. Is it more of a faff than paying through the nose to replace them?
I guess you could recoup a fair bit of the cost of replacement by selling yours, but you'll still be out of pocket!

Yep i am going to sell them, they are still in date for racing so hopefully i can maybe get half the cost of new ones for the pair of used... will see they have hardly been used. I have looked at dying them but it looks a bit mixed with results and really i will never be happy as i'm to ocd

I've got a Rotrex charger and AFAIK it's a one and done thing, makes it expensive when they do fail.

Edit: sorry just saw you found someone, who is it? Mine is actually ok as it turns out, but might be worth knowing for the future.

Its a guy on FB, he says hes flat out. https://www.facebook.com/UKSuperchargerRepairs
very handy to know, it is still expensive though, Im paying £700 to change for a rebuilt unit with low friction bearings plus £100 for oil and £50 for a filter. Cheapest I could find a new unit was from Europe which is £2k plus vat

Soldato
Yep i am going to sell them, they are still in date for racing so hopefully i can maybe get half the cost of new ones for the pair of used... will see they have hardly been used. I have looked at dying them but it looks a bit mixed with results and really i will never be happy as i'm to ocd

Its a guy on FB, he says hes flat out. https://www.facebook.com/UKSuperchargerRepairs
very handy to know, it is still expensive though, Im paying £700 to change for a rebuilt unit with low friction bearings plus £100 for oil and £50 for a filter. Cheapest I could find a new unit was from Europe which is £2k plus vat

Thanks, does he warranty them at all?

Mine came in a kit from the US, think I paid about £2.5/3k on the lot, brackets, piping and inter cooler and all plumbing.

Back
Top Bottom