reheating food help !

Associate
ElRazur said:
Dont be daft, see what i posted. Yes some bacteria are known to survive extreme of temp BUT bacillus cerus can only withstand heat up to 75dc, after that it ruptures.

Sorry. You are wrong:

"Bacillus food poisoning usually occurs because heat-resistant endospores survive cooking or pasteurization and then germinate and multiply when the food is inadequately refrigerated. "

http://www-micro.msb.le.ac.uk/video/Bcereus.html

"Because the spores of many Bacillus species are resistant to heat, radiation, disinfectants, and desiccation, they are difficult to eliminate from medical and pharmaceutical materials and are a frequent cause of contamination. Bacillus species are well known in the food industries as troublesome spoilage organisms."

http://gsbs.utmb.edu/microbook/ch015.htm

Long-incubation B. cereus food poisoning is frequently associated with meat or vegetable-containing foods after cooking.

http://textbookofbacteriology.net/B.cereus.html

"Spores are relatively resistant to heat and dessication; survive cooking"

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/msds-ftss/msds13e.html

"Fried rice is a leading cause of 1B. cereus emetic-type food poisoning in the United States (1,4). B. cereus is frequently present in uncooked rice, and heat-resistant spores may survive cooking."

http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/cereus.html

Sorry, I got bored of finding more of the overwhelming number of sites which state this bacterium can survive cooking.

Associate
Energize said:
But not all of them will be destroyed by the temps he will be using.

Well, you can destroy RNA in viruses at temperatures below 100 degrees c, thus removing their ability to operate. Of course it depends on the virus.

Soldato
I made that out like I have a hangover this morning :D I'm fine sorry lol, Just usually when theres chinese in the oven and I'm hungover I'll eat it :D

Thats what I usually do drink water n plenty of it

But really is there any harm of eating cold chinese? lol

Associate
JoeBoi said:
I made that out like I have a hangover this morning :D I'm fine sorry lol, Just usually when theres chinese in the oven and I'm hungover I'll eat it :D

Thats what I usually do drink water n plenty of it

But really is there any harm of eating cold chinese? lol
Partly depends if its been stored at a nice low temp in the fridge and how old it is, avoid the rice though, lots of info in previous post on why ;)

Associate
poor guy should just learn to admit hes wrong / his namby pamby uni course may not be the best way to dismiss the combined knowledge of many of the top scientists in the field :/ ps doesnt bacillus cereus only account for like <5% of all cases, thought the big ones were like salmonella, ecoli etc

i also love the way hes now using "jibed" etc after my post saying something was a jibe.. your usage ElRazur is not correct :(

tbh if rice is such a big deal, chuck it out - its not that expensive / hard to make some more :)

Permabanned
He's run off, just like my comic predicted ;)

Nah, he's done the right thing, I'm glad to see he hasn't continued trying to prove he is right in an impossible situation, I guess he's swallowed his pride :)

Soldato
Morat said:
Sorry. You are wrong:.

Heat resistant
Ive explained this before and i still maintain what i said. The heat resistance capabilities will ONLY be effective up to a certain temperature period, it start to lose it shape and form after this as the protein coat start to denature and polysacharride start to fall apart via destruction of whatever bond is holding it in place.
http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/msds-ftss/msds13e.html
PHYSICAL INACTIVATION: Spores destroyed by heating at 100°C for 10 min; ionizing radiation destroys spores with 540 krad
Once again from your own source. If the spore can be destroyed at 100D, surely this is easily surpassed during the cooking period (which i said 20min in my previous post)

The other link you provided deals mainly in the general knowledge of the Genus Bacillus, plenty of focus on anthrax and less focus on the strain the debate is about - CEREUS.
A general characteristic of a genus dont always mean all the strain down the familial will have the same attributes e.g Certain strain of e.coli and fermentation of sorbital. (used as a biological marker)
The information given in your link clearly suggest that the spores can be destroyed at a certain temp. so i dont see the problem.
My arguement all along has been - can bacillus cereus be destroyed by heat via cooking, even though it is termed heat-resistant? My answer is YES, it can be destroyed over certain temp which can be easily achieved via cooking. and at this stage, i think i will STILL maintain it can be destroyed via microwaving too.

I never argued about frying or any of those things you are trying to imply. Can we base the debate on what it is from the begining and leave irrelevant things out of it. (can the spores be killed via cooking)

The short-incubation or emetic form of the disease is diagnosed by the isolation of B. cereus from the incriminated food. The long-incubation or diarrheal form is diagnosed by isolation of the organism from stool and food. Isolation from stools alone is not sufficient because 14% of healthy adults have been reported to have transient gastrointestinal colonization with B. cereus. Because B. cereus gastroenteritis is generally a benign, self-limited illness, antimicrobial agents are of no value in management. Since bacteria grow best at temperatures ranging from 40 to 140°F, infection may be prevented if cold food is refrigerated and if hot food is held at greater than 140°F before serving

Once again, it implies it is viable to destruction by heat. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
iCraig said:
He's run off, just like my comic predicted ;)

Nah, he's done the right thing, I'm glad to see he hasn't continued trying to prove he is right in an impossible situation, I guess he's swallowed his pride :)

I dont know about you, but what i know is i never back down, i just can be bothered replying to rubbish post and demeaning messages.
Aint no pride here too, we are exchanging ideas and simply because you dont take my ideas or think my point of view is wrong dont in any way point toward pride. But then this El, whatever i says is always something that dont go down well.

If you wanna debate feel free to do so but i wont reply to things i consider irrelevant and totally uncalled for.

Back
Top Bottom