1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reinstallig steam

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Fogold, 4 Mar 2010.

1. Fogold

Associate

I am about to install an upgrade all bought from ocuk (mobo,proc,ram). I will be formatting a 160gb drive for windows 7 64 and leaving a 500gb drive as it is which contains all the Steam stuff (lots!). Will the steam games work straight off or will i haveto reinstall steam and copy steam apps back? I only ask because the last pc i upgraded and copied the steamapps folder back after a clean install didn't work and I had to reinstall all the games (tedious).

Previous os was xp pro 32. same box, video,psu etc

2. Antar Bolaeisk

Sgarrista

You should just be able to copy the entire Steam folder and launch Steam on your new OS install and your games should mostly just work, this has certainly been the case with my Steam folder which gas followed me across four different OS installs. The only thing to be wary of is where the saved game files are.

3. PhillyDee

Capodecina

As above. Done this myself.
    Copy entire folder, reinstall steam from their website. Installs and runs. Best thing about ut tbh.

4. Higadeb

Gangster

Once, you've installed steam on you main OS it should pick up the games stored on the other HDD.

IF it doesn't find the games. Exit steam and go to the steam directory in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam delete the clientregistry.blob file and re-name the folder (something memorable e.g. SteamBackup).

Re-start steam, the program will say it's validating (i.e. searching for the install folder which you've renamed) and should find the steam folder on your other HDD. All your games will then be installed and you can play away!

If this isn't the case let me know and I'll sort it out, you don't need to re-install any games for steam once you have them installed, it's just a matter of steam finding the games

5. Tefal

Capo Crimine

format other hdd >install windows >plug in old 500gb hdd > run steam exe from 500gb hdd should sort it's self out.

6. Fogold

Associate

Excellent. As I hoped. Thanks very much:D