Reinstalling mac OS on older MBP

Soldato
hi,

got my hands on old MBP (early 2011).
I just repasted it, as that thing was totally dry and was overheating.
Now it's back together and temps are better, how do I reinstall/clean install macOS?
it was used with windows 7 and there doesn't seem to be a secondary partition with macOS.
Is it similar to windows reinstall? Obtaining image of the OS, creating bootable media and take it from there?
what is the highest OS version this thing can run?

not an apple person, so any advice appreciated.

Permabanned
You got a decent net connection then you might still be able to do a net recovery. Try command + R hold it down till you see a spinning globe.

If not what's the model number of the laptop? It should begin with an A on the bottom of the device.

Permabanned
A1286 then.... you can download High Sierra app as it supports it.

You could then create a boot SDHC card/USB Stick with the following command in Terminal.

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High Sierra.app --nointeraction

Make sure you call the SDHC Card/USB Stick is named "Untitled"

Last edited:
Caporegime
LOL @paradigm

I've never come across that everymac site before. What a great find. I've been trying to work out what the exact processors are in the iMacs. I didn't think they were the desktop Core i5s but the notebook HQ ones. So that's nice. Now all I have to do is wait until they get the six core Coffee Lake ones in there.

Soldato
OP
I guess there must be HW error due to previous overheating. maybe a temperature sensor?
I select internet recovery, globe appears, I connect to network and select it, it blinks to Apple logo loading bar...and when it finishes it should offer Disk Utility options, but the screen just goes white.
I left it like this for 20 mins and nothing, the internet speed is more than ok (200Mbps).

The windows still boots fine, so I guess I might just give up and return it to owner, as they've used it as windows machine for quite some time.

I might try a different hard drive though as an option, but because it works fine on windows, not sure that will help much.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Try blank hard drive (wipe it before installing it in the Mac), and try zapping PRAM and NVRAM and all that other Mac goodness just for good measure (it won't hurt).

Soldato
OP
It flagged battery. Had a look and it's a 3rd party replacement.

It runs kinda hot for my liking (50 degrees doing nothing) despite all cleaned up and repasted.

Due to its age i won't be doing anything else.
Windows works ok, so it'll be ok-ish web machine till it packs up.

I built a desktop for them few days ago so this was a little side thing to try.

Thanks for all the help. It was a good experience.

Back
Top Bottom