Reliable 10m HDMI cable (4k/60/hdr)

Soldato
OP
Yes, both are HDR screens, and I game on both, I shouldn't have to compromise really, if I just stump up for a fibre HDMI cable.

Got a powered repeater coming today, so we'll see if that works first as the cheaper option, otherwise that can go back and I'll grab a fibre cable

Associate
I had no idea fibre optic HDMI was a thing. Sounds like snake oil but seems to the do the trick! I plan on doing around a 10-15m meter run soon with 4k/60/hdr so will grab one of these when I do!

Man of Honour
Also common in the world of domestic internet connections. Ever heard of fibre Internet and its speed advantages compared to the existing copper cables?

Soldato
OP
Slightly misleading name however, as due to marketing, most people think of "fibre broadband" as FTTC rather than FTTP/H, which isn't necessarily faster than copper (e.g. Virgin uses copper coax and is a lot faster than most ISP's "fibre broadband")

Powered repeater made no difference, so time to do some research and get a fibre cable

Soldato
Why spend more money than you have to?

Try another cheap 10m cable first (to see if it's the length or original cable you have). If it works, then you can forget about researching all these expensive Fibre Hybrid cables and get on with enjoying your life :D

If it doesn't work then you can send it back and try a more expensive long hybrid type, or just move the source closer with a shorter cable.

Soldato
OP
99% sure it's the length as when I tried the PC closer to the TV with a 2m cable it was fine.

So far I've tried:

Decent quality but old (iirc HDMI 1.4) cable I already had - connected fine, dropouts every few minutes
Cheap HDMI 2.0b cable - constant flickering
Decent quality HDMI 2.0a/b cable (the one I'm currently using) - connects fine, dropouts every 30 mins or so
Powered repeater - same as above, connects fine, dropouts every 30 mins or so
Active copper cable - constant flickering and noise

Yesterday evening Amazon delivered me a "Mavislink" fibre cable (best reviews & longest warranty around the £50 point), it connects fine, no noise or static, but haven't had a chance to test it properly gaming yet.

Fingers crossed it works, otherwise the next option is spending £££ to convert my PC to mITX to go under the TV and seeing if the connection works the other way (or buying a gaming laptop :p)

Back
Top Bottom