Relocating to Southampton/Fareham - tips?

Associate
Hello,
I am looking to relocate to Southampton/Fareham for work. Any recommendations? Initially I might live in a houseshare then I will look to move into a 1-bed flat.
I am not into clubbing, I am more into outdoor sports (sailing, both keelboat and dinghy; canoeing; walking etc.) and theatre, classical music etc.
I do not drive and would need to be near a high street (with independent butchers, grocers etc.) and with good public transport links. I would like to bring a commute of 1 hour and a half each way maximum. I don't mind walking as long as it's safe (i.e. not through areas where I'm likely to get mugged or along the side of a country road with cars flying past).
I am renting and would like to get on the property ladder one day so don't want to splash out on one of those 'high spec' flats. So far I have had a look at Bitterne and Swanwick (it's near the Whiteley shopping centre). I'd like to avoid areas with too much traffic noise.
Also if anyone has any tips on what public transport is here (delays/cancellations/overcrowding) that would be much appreciated. Most of my trips into Southampton were at off peak times (weekend) so I didn't really get to see what it is like at the rush hour!
Thanks in advance.

Man of Honour
Where will you be working? Public transport down that way isn’t fantastic so a reliable link with backups will be crucial for you.

Wait.... Bot?

Soldato
If you don't drive then Portsmouth or Southampton.

Whitely you pretty much need to drive (used to work there) - Swanick & Bitterne there is nothing there to do. All property is overpriced in the south, with a sliding scale to being cheaper the more difficult it is to get anywhere via public transport.

Associate
Plenty of sailing clubs & dinghy sailing along the eastern side of the Solent. Good walking in the South Downs and New Forest. Classical music might be a bit limited though.

Eastleigh might be an option. More "Local" and less busy than Southampton, With easy trains and buses into Southampton, Portsmouth and Winchester.

Soldato
Pompey scum.... :p

I don't know about Portsmouth but Southampton during peak times is a nightmare, all the roads in and out are gridlock, without fail everyday, apart from Friday mornings where 50% of the population must have the day off/work from home.
All the trains out of Southampton that head to London are heaving during peak times...

Soldato
Assuming you are preferring suburbs to city centres, Hedge End sounds about right - train links to Southampton/Winchester/Portsmouth, easy access to M27 and M3, close enought to the coast and the South Downs.

I have a few colleagues in that sort of area

Soldato
If you need to commute by bus, there's plenty of options including buying the £6 weekly ticket for unlimited use of the Bluestar 18 around Bitterne, providing you want to head towards Southampton city centre. I'm not familiar with bus options heading further east, don't think there's many, the 18 goes as far as Thornhill estate.

Cycling from Bitterne to Southampton city centre has plenty of route options that will get you off busy roads like the A3024, using safe back-streets and/or shared pathways.

Decent pedestrianised precinct in Bitterne too, albeit basic range of stores.

Bitterne old "village" is only 5mins walk away from the precinct and main roads, but it's very quiet in comparison.

One negative is house pricing, it ain't cheap these days, to rent or buy around Bitterne.

Associate
If you don't drive, then you really need to look at what public transport goes near your workplace and then trace those routes to see where you can catch them from.

Places like Locks Heath, Tichfield and Stubbington are pretty good, but really does depend on how long you're prepared to commute for.

Soldato
Have lived in Fareham for nearly 3 years....
It's half a hour by train from Fareham to Southampton at peak times. I do the journey every day. Trains are always busy. The schedules change a bit on Monday and the smaller stops are going to be screwed over.

Driving is cheaper but can take an hour in the morning and 90mins in the evening to j9 or 2 hours+ if coming off at j11.

Lots to do in the area but house prices are quite high.
I don't really go out in Fareham that much as we have friends close by but most places are pretty decent. Residential areas....you would need to ask a local but houseprices and crime maps can help reveal that.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the tips. I have lived in Bristol and London so am used to high rents, high house prices etc. I want to avoid the really dodgy areas: I learnt that the hard way when I was younger! I am going to check out upmystreet. Even with public transport, the commute would still be much shorter than my current one, and hopefully more frequent and reliable.
@NoobCannon I nearly relocated to Slough (I know...) many years ago, for an IT helpdesk job. The best advice I got re accommodation in the area was on this forum!

Back
Top Bottom