remember the gut who got caught at 156mph ?

Permabanned
THERE ARE NO HOUSES on that stretch of road...i am not justifying speeding in any terms m8

It's still illegal. Regardless of whether there's houses or not. Speeding is speeding. You could use any excuse to justify doing something, it still doesn't make it okay to do it and any less illegal. "Well, you know, it's not a busy area, so what's wrong with speeding?..... well, I wasn't going to buy the game so the developers haven't lost any money have they?.... well he was just a paedophile, what's wrong with me murdering him?" No lame excuses allow you to break the law. You are NOT above the law.

I havent seen anyone on here say that they speed in residential areas?

I just don't think anyone's stupid enough to open themselves to a flaming by admitting they speed in residential areas. But residential or not, speeding is speeding. You don't have a god given right to do it just because you own a car.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Cr8tive
I just don't think anyone's stupid enough to open themselves to a flaming by admitting they speed in residential areas. But residential or not, speeding is speeding. You don't have a god given right to do it just because you own a car.

If the speed limits were rational and thought out people would be less reluctant to adhere on them. The 70mph Motorway speed limit was designed for 1960's cars with all round drum brakes. It still hasn't been updated.

Permabanned
It hasn't been updated? You'd prefer there was a faster speed limit on the motorway? What do you propose? 80? 90? I'd hate to have been doing 90mph+ and been behind that flatbed that flipped all those tanks onto the motorway last week. Brakes are irrelevant, stopping distance isn't what matters. The problem is that IF (it all hinges on the possibility you might) you hit something at a faster speed, then the more damage you will cause.

Also, with the amount of muppets on the road, do you really want them going faster? Not to mention that people will still speed, so instead of people doing 80-90 when they should be doing 70, they'll be doing 100-110 when they should be doing 90(or insert suggested speed limit). I hate to break it to you, but increasing speed limits isn't going to cause people to instantly think "wow, I no longer have to speed". Instead it'll be "the speed limit is X so now I'm going to drive at Y".

Permabanned
I meant in the argument FOR increased speed limits. ie, why can't i go faster, my brakes are far better than in 1960 therefore my stopping distance is better than a Ford Anglia.

It doesn't matter if your stopping distance is 1 inch. In the possibility you are unable to stop, then at 80, 90, 100mph+ the damage caused will be greater.

Soldato
I meant in the argument FOR increased speed limits. ie, why can't i go faster, my brakes are far better than in 1960 therefore my stopping distance is better than a Ford Anglia.

It doesn't matter if your stopping distance is 1 inch. In the possibility you are unable to stop, then at 80, 90, 100mph+ the damage caused will be greater.

sorry bout that, im basically scan readin posts (im at work)

Associate
havins skim read all of this ive got a couple of comments:

speeding is not all the same regardles of legality doing 35 in a residential 30 zone is far more dangerous than doing 100 on a clear motorway.

i think speed limits should be reappraised an a more sensible policy used, i agree with most 30 and 40 zones but on a dry motorway we could raise the speed limit as mostaccidents are caused by ppl not concetrating etc rather than excess speed, we could prevent far more accidents by improving driving standards rather than worrying about ppl doing 90 on the motorway. having relativley recently passed my driving test i know that the test is flawed as it doesnt include any motorway driving. if we spent more time victimising bad drivers (such as ppl who pull out without looking etc) we could save hundreds of lives.

if the police stopped everyone they saw driving badly an gave them a fine then i bet ppl would regarding driving in the same way and actually ingauge their brains before they drove off.

Si

Soldato
Originally posted by cossey3
havins skim read all of this ive got a couple of comments:

speeding is not all the same regardles of legality doing 35 in a residential 30 zone is far more dangerous than doing 100 on a clear motorway.

i think speed limits should be reappraised an a more sensible policy used, i agree with most 30 and 40 zones but on a dry motorway we could raise the speed limit as mostaccidents are caused by ppl not concetrating etc rather than excess speed, we could prevent far more accidents by improving driving standards rather than worrying about ppl doing 90 on the motorway. having relativley recently passed my driving test i know that the test is flawed as it doesnt include any motorway driving. if we spent more time victimising bad drivers (such as ppl who pull out without looking etc) we could save hundreds of lives.

if the police stopped everyone they saw driving badly an gave them a fine then i bet ppl would regarding driving in the same way and actually ingauge their brains before they drove off.

Si

What an excellent first post!

That is exactly the problem.... Inconsiderate driving, people not paying enough attention, people not knowing how to use the roads. These are much more of a problem than speeding, and, through education, much easier and more realistic to prevent.

Permabanned
caused by ppl not concetrating etc rather than excess speed

And by increasing limits you will have people not concentrating at excessive speed. Would you prefer that combination? And as I said earlier, increasing the limit will just increase the speed at which people will break that limit. Because they will break it. Hell, the limit could be 150mph, there'd still be muppets trying to break it.

I agree that more careless drivers should be punished.

My girlfriends Nan was sat at a junction waiting to turn right, there was a bus in the opposite direction turning and the road looked clear so she slowly begain to turn when a Minibus Taxi plowed into her. The Taxi driver blamed her (so did the passengers, but my dad's a taxi driver and I know how this crap works, ie, "blame her and claim compo"). Her car was totally wrecked and had been spun round 180 degrees. The taxi had hardly any damage. You only had to look at the damage to the Golf to see the taxi driver must have been going at an insane speed. Oddly, when I pointed out to the policeman there was a CCTV camera pointed directly at the junction and this would show who was responsible he replied with "There's no film in them". WTF?!?!? I know there's no film in them, it's allwired up to a huge control centre at the police station. The town's CCTV system is forever boasted about, the local newspaper showed photos of the inside of the control room, just row upon row of TV's and recording facilities. Yet here he is spouting some garbage and not even bothered to see who's responsible,

Man of Honour
My girlfriends Nan was sat at a junction waiting to turn right, there was a bus in the opposite direction turning and the road looked clear so she slowly begain to turn when a Minibus Taxi plowed into her. The Taxi driver blamed her (so did the passengers, but my dad's a taxi driver and I know how this crap works, ie, "blame her and claim compo").
The road may have "looked clear" but it obviously wasn't. She turned across the flow of traffic - so surely "slowly beginning to turn" is hardly sensible - you complete the manouever as quickly as possible......

An impact at 30mph (not 30mph pre-braking speed) is enough to write off most modern cars.

Permabanned
No, it was clear. Opposite her were two lanes, a bus in one, the other lane was clear, taxi driver came flying down the road, couldn't see her because the bus would have been in his line of sight (the direction he was coming from is on a slight bend).

Oh, and by 'slowly' I meant from not moving to accelerating. Your car goes from still to 30 instantly? (I should clarify more, I'm at work though).

Soldato
The problem with raising the limit on motorways is the tailgating nerks that don't understand they shouldn't be 10ft behind you doing 70mph, let alone if that was increased to 80mph. I get continually ****** off leaving a gap between the car in front and myself only for some idiot to pull into it and stay there.

Associate
i agree that just increasing the limit is a bad idea
the police and government atm do not have the right focus on the problem so rather than putting more and more cameras etc up to try and catch ppl speeding maybe they should spend more money and time improving ppls driving
the example that cr8tive gave is a classic case the taxi was prob going to fast but it was still his gf's nan's fault as she did not allow for the speed of the taxi (or if she couldnt see the taxi then maybe she should have allowed for something coming that she couldnt see) if you are pulling out you must allow for other ppl even if they are speeding. ppls inabilty to judge the speed of other cars is far too common and worrying, and whatsmore it is even more worrying that many ppl dont realise even after theyve pulled out that they had misjudged the other cars speed. Almost everyone is guilty of this at some point (including myself) but at least i realise that ive done something wrong and therefore change my driving to adapt.

Jeremy Clarkson put this point best when he said that in the evolution of man the time we have been driving is a tiny percentage and yet too many of us take our abilty for granted and dont give it the concentration it deserves.

Permabanned
You're missing the bigger picture, although it's kind of hard to explain without you knowing the road. Whilst at the lights, there was nobody in the other lane. The other lane was clear. Now obviously she had limited view as to what would be in that lane (I'd say visibilty to just a bit past the bus and then not much as the road curves to the left). The taxi driver would have had no visibilty, he'd have come round the corner seen the traffic in the other lane, wouldn't have seen what was coming in the other direction thanks to the double decker bus and that's it. If he'd have been going slower he would have seen her turning right instead of plowing into her. I should also point out that taxi drivers here DO drive like lunatics, minibus drivers are the worst. My dad's friend had been a minibus driver, but after seeing that all the other minibus drivers had been in crashes that ended with fatalities, he gave it up as he knew it was a matter of time before he was next.

Associate
the speed limits on motorways are wrong. they could easily be set faster, and it would not increase the number of accidents. in my short experience of driving on motor ways, ive found the most dangerous driver to be the inconsiderate one. speed is not the cause of accidents on the motorway, the danger comes in when people start changing lanes, when people pull on at junctions etc. and even then the danger only rears its head because people are too busy yapping on the phone, or too inconsiderate to use their indicators or check their mirrors before changing lanes etc.

of course thats the majority. you will always get ******* who will do 100+ mph down the outside lane and wait until the 100 yard sign before pulling accross all four lanes of traffic without looking or indicating so they can get off the motorway.

as for residential roads the speed limits should not be broken. ive been hit by a car doing 40 when it should have been doing 30, the reason im not dead? luck. i was lucky, i wasnt even seriously injured.

the problem with a lot of road users now is their attitudes. which is basically **** everyone else as long as they can get where they are going.

Caporegime
My brother got stopped on the M3 not so long back doing 139mph in his Boxster-S......he got off scot free!
He was stopped by two coppers in one of those persuit Omegas. One minute he said the road was totally clear in front and behind and the next they were flashing him in his mirror. He pulled over and was just honest with them. They asked him why he was doing that speed to which he said that as the road was totally clear he just for once wanted to see what his car was like at that speed. They asked if he'd loose his job because he couldn't drive and he said yes. A few other questions but just it straight with no BS. They must have had a long day as they didn't even caution him. The last thing he said to them was that he wouldn't be doing it again.....he hasn't.

Associate
i think the point of this is going the right speed for the situation on a nice clear road where you have good visabilty then going faster is safer than a situation with limited visabilty even though everyone is within the legal limits.
and i get your point about minibuses as ive seen a lot of ppl who drive them as if they were normal cars that can stop a lot quicker etc.

Caporegime
It's still illegal. Regardless of whether there's houses or not. Speeding is speeding. You could use any excuse to justify doing something, it still doesn't make it okay to do it and any less illegal. "Well, you know, it's not a busy area, so what's wrong with speeding?..... well, I wasn't going to buy the game so the developers haven't lost any money have they?.... well he was just a paedophile, what's wrong with me murdering him?" No lame excuses allow you to break the law. You are NOT above the law.

umm i have never said im above the law...lol...hey if i choose to speed down a lonely road and i crash and hurt myself then u know wot m8...its my fault...simple....just like anyone else who speeds and has an accident...i ONLY blame them..i dont condone speeding in the slightest..so pls stop putting words in my mouth...:) ....ok if it makes u feel any better then i WONT speed down that road...lol...if i BREAK the law and i get caught then i take full responsibility for it...im man enuff to take responsibilty for my actions..always have been and will be...:)

Back
Top Bottom